• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pte. Thomas V. Kelly Worcs.Regt.

sylviasayers

master brummie
I have at last found the christian name of my uncle killed in WW1. I have found a medal card for Thomas Kelly No.14076 which shows his entitlement to the Victory, British and 1915 Star medals. I have looked at the National Roll of the Great War, and found on page 244 a citation that MIGHT be him but it is T. Kelly Royal Warwicks. He was killed in action at Ypres on August 10th 1917. Address 5/14 Charles Henry Street. Birmingham.

I also found mention and saw the image that he was on the Birmingham Roll of Honour.

Can anyone help me verify this is the Thomas V. Kelly that my dad's sister
Kathleen - Kate Wallace married in the 3rd Qtr.1915. and any further details of his service. I know Kate was a war widow and left with a baby daughter also Kathleen. Also is the Birmingham Roll of Honour in the Hall of Memory.

Sylvia I would say the Thomas is your man as there is no V. Kelly on the Commonwealth War Graves Site.

Info from the 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' database:-

Thomas Kelly, 28223, 11th Royal Warwicks, DIED (probably because of an illness) 10 August 1917. Born Birmingham, enlisted, London. Residence, Birmingham. Formerley served in the Hussars No.14783.

There is another Thomas Kelly, No.37420, 16th Devonshire Regiment, KIA 2 September, 1918. Born and enlisted in Birmingham.

Terry

I'm not so sure. It's possible, but can't be substantiated.

========================

The medal index card you mentioned says that Pte 14076 Thomas Kelly served with the Worcesershire Regiment.

"Soldiers Died in the Great war" says that this man was born and enlisted in Birmingham. He was killed in action on 28 April 1916 while serving with 3rd Battalion.

The entry for this man on CWGC gives no NOK or personal information.

He is NOT the man referred to in the National Roll of Honour.

=========================

So who is the man mentioned in the National Roll?

This was Pte 28223 Thomas Kelly of the 11th Royal Warwicks died on 10 August 1917. He had originally served in the 3rd Hussars as Trooper 14783. This man was born and lived in Birmingham but enlisted in London.

He did not go to France before 1916.

CWGC has no personal or NOK information for this man either.

Unless you know that the Charles Henry Street address is your family, there is nothing to definitely connect him with you.

==================================

There is a third Thomas Kelly who died and has a Birmingham connection.

Pte 37420 Thomas Kelly was killed in action on 2 September 1918 while serving with the 16th Battalion of the Devonshire Regiment.

Again, CWGC has no personal or NOK detail.

=======================================

None of these men show a middle initial of V in any existing documents, but that means nothing really as the recruit did not have to give his full name or any evidence of it.

You could try the 1918 Absent Voters List to see if Pte 37420 has a family address connection.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. Unfortunately I don't know his address, his wife came from Staniforth Street, and I would imagine she would have still lived near her parents, but I don't know. I will have to keep looking for his Attestation Papers and that should solve the mystery. On the medal card under remarks it has "died". So perhaps he did die through an illness.

I would not make that assumption, Sylvia. I've seen plenty of cards that say Died when the man was killed or died of wounds.

I think I'd try the 1918 Absent Voters List first to see if you can confirm or eliminate the man in the Devons. You have much more chance of that than finding the service records.

I'd also spend some time looking through the local press for the few weeks after the two men died. There are thousands of small biographical articles about men who died, and you never know - you might find him mentioned.

Thanks ChrisB, I know I have seen it on the site somewhere, but can you remind me how I view the 1918 Absent Voters List please, although it he had died in 1917 he won't be on it. BTW my dad was in the Devonshires, probably just coincidence.

Hi Sylvia

I am researching 14076 Pte T Kelly 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment as he may have been killed in the same place as 12631 Lanc Segt G W Hill ( my Great Uncle). If you have any information/pictues/letters etc this would help with the research. If I can prove the link or find any information I will contact you and show you exactly were he was killed.

Regards Allan

Allan, I'm afraid I have no more information on Thomas V. Kelly than what I have posted, I only found his name through searching through BMD to find the marriage, later this month I am going to pay for a subscription to Find My Past, so I can look for him in the 1911 census to see if he lived with his parents in Charles Henry Street. Good luck with your research.

alanp, These are the burial details of G.W.Hill. Len. HILL, GEORGE WILLIAM Initials: G W Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Lance Serjeant Regiment/Service: Worcestershire Regiment Unit Text: 3rd Bn. Date of Death: 28/04/1916 Service No: 12631 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 6. Memorial:They died on the same day. ARRAS MEMORIAL

Last edited:
allanp. Burial details of T.Kelly. Len. Initials: T Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Worcestershire Regiment Unit Text: 3rd Bn. Date of Death: 28/04/1916 Service No: 14076 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 6. Memorial:They died on the same day.ARRAS MEMORIAL

Last edited:
Hi Sylvia

Thanks for the quick reply. I will contact you when I have more information about Thomas. Let me know if you find a photograph and I can check his Regiment. I use Genes Reunited for m family research. On costs £10 per year and you can build your family tree online. I completed my family back to my Great Grandfather and was contacted within a few days by 3 relatives who gave me excellent information. I now have over 450 names on my list. Worth looking at. https://www.genesreunited.co.uk

Regards Allan

Hi Lencops

Thanks for the information. I have been researching my Great Uncle George William Hill for the last 3 years. I now have almost a complete record of his service from his enlistment in 1911 to his death in 1916 but no photograph. I am researching the other Lads that were killed with him to see if I can find out which Company he was in at the time of his death. Unfortunately his Service Record did not survive WW2 so it has been a long slog. He was living in Perrott Street Winson Green before he enlisted, do you know of any local papers that were around during WW1? I have checked the Birmingham papers (Mail, Post) for an obituary but I cannot find one. Any help would be appreciated

Regards Allan

Sylvia
Thomas Kelly 14076 Pte died 28 April 1916 according to the Worcestershires Roll of Honour The 3rd battalion had been at Vimy Ridge since the beginning of April assisting in mining operations whilst constantly under attack from the enemy.On 28th April a large mine was exploded by the enemy before they attacked.
If you register with Worcester Regiment forum and post a query, there is a member who has researched archive copies of the Worcester Herald and may be able to help. My great uncle John Kenny was with the 3rd Worcesters and died in the Somme Offensive, through my post I discovered that he was wounded in 1915, returned to the front and was wounded again fatally in July 1916

Back