• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

PTE HARRY HART 9783, 2nd Bn. Worcestershire Regiment

MILLS

master brummie
Help please.

Born 1874, Birmingham.
Originally enlisted Feb. 1906. Enlisted 8 September, 1914 and medically discharged, sickness 17 August, 1917 and issued with a silver wound badge. (from Royal Warwickshire Regiment) Service papers exist on Ancestry.
Married Rosannah Gregory 29 February, 1896.
1881 Census; living at back of Island Tavern, Alfred St. Handsworth.
1891 Census; living at 54, Victoria Park Rd. Harbourne.

If anyone can help me fill in the missing data it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

David

Tracking Rosannah Hart living at 38, Camden St. I found 1925 Electoral Roll with a Henry and on 1930 Roll a Henry John.
Then I found a Henry Hart on 1911 Census living at 7/42 Camden St. married to a Rose, who is linked to a Henry Edward Hart's daughters marriage in 1928 who is living at 38 Camden St.???
Following this Henry Edward Hart who is born in 1859 and dies in 1935. There seems to be a connection but I am totally confused!

David

The Harry/Henry Hart that married Rosanna/Rose Gregory was born 1860ish. In 1901 Rose and the children are on Camden Grove and in 1911 they are on Camden St.

It is possible it is the same address with the houses being named such at one stage.

So Harry Hart b1874 did not marry Rosanna Gregory.

The Henry/Harry b1874 of those addresses married Emma Redfern in 1896.

In 1901 he was living on Clarence Road, Handsworth with wife and children. In 1911.

In 1911 & 1921 they are living at 11 Park Terrace, Handsworth. Sill there in 1939.

MWS,

I have re-checked his Service papers and in 1917 he is living at 38 Camden St. When he was discharged his Medical Report dated 18 3 17 shows his age last birthday as 57 -/12, can't read the month. Which ties in with born in 1859.

So it looks like his Pension Record showing him born in 1874 was wrong.

I can't read the date on his Attestation papers, Army Reserve. (Special Reservists) One Years Service, which would seem to tie in to him serving previously, 1906. His SWB shows enlistment date as September 1914 and him being 40 years 111days. So this ties in with his Attestation papers of being born 1859/1860.

So do you think this has filled in the missing Census/Electoral Rolls? If so then we need to find the birth and death dates?

His not with his wife and children in 1901.

I think Henry Edward Hart, b reg. Jun 1859 Bham, d reg. Mar 1935 Bham. Son of Henry Hart and Amelia Maria Santy.

I don't have a current sub to Ancestry at the moment but wanted to point out a couple of things:

SWB = Silver WAR Badge [not Wound]

He was entitled to the 1915 Star, the Victory Medal and the British War Medal

At some point between 28.12.14 [when he arrived in France] and 7.8.17 he transferred from 2nd Bn Worcester Regt to 1st Garrison Bn Royal Warks Regt and was medically discharged with Lumbago and Rheumatism - attributed to Active Service

Some older men altered their year of birth to serve

Cheers
Di

The Harry Hart who married Rosannah (Rose Anne) Gregory gave his age as 36 when he married in 1896. Cert on Ancestry.

Back