• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pte Ernest Wright 14 Bn RWR

P

Paul McNicholl

I was wondering where I might find some more information about Pte Ernest Wright 17489 14 Bn. RWR. He is recorded by the WGC as having died on 3 Sept 1916 (aged 42) but no known grave - so I assumed he was killed or presumed dead in action.

So far I've been told that his records were probably destroyed in WW2 and I've pieced together that his battalion was involved in the battle for Guillemont at around the time of his death. Of course he may have been wounded in earlier action or been hospitalised earlier.

Could anyone please suggest any other sources of information to help me with my research. I've read terry Carter's book and he is recorded in the back but that's all the information I have apart from one or two of his medals and the notification of his death from the war office.

I'm also looking for information on my great grandfather George Harris who served in WW1 as a blacksmith. He lived in Cheadle North Staffs. All I have is a photo of him in uniform and no other information...perhaps a forlorn hope!

Wow! That was quick. Thanks very much indeed Colin. I'll continue my search and update if people are interested.

Curious. there are two entries on the medal card (seems to be the same handwriting even) for Ernest Wright in the RWR. One has service no 17489, the other service number is 15042. They both seem to have the same roll and page details for their medals. E Wright 15042 isn't listed on the CWGC website or International Armed Forces memorial. Was it common for people to have 2 service numbers?

Many of them were renumbered for different reasons, my own grandfather had two numbers, it was changed when he was transferred to another battallion.
Perhaps when Terry comes on again he can explain further.

Colin

Service numbering

All numbers are unique to a battalion. All Territorials were re-numbered in 1917. If someone transferred to another battalion/regiment they would be given a new number.

Pte Ernest Wright

Soldiers died in the Great War....

Born Cheadle Staffs
Enlisted Coventry
Killed in Action

Not on the Birmingham or Coventry Rolls of Honour

Hi Paul,
Interested in this as I was born in Cheadle and have Wrights in my tree.

1901 High street, Cheadle

Isaac Wright age 60 Innkeeper
Sarah A Wright age 35 daughter
Frederick Wright age 27 Blacksmiths striker
George harris age 31 son in law Blacksmith
Ann Harris age 31 daughter
Hilda age 2 grandaughter
May age 3 months grandaughter

1881 Market place, Cheadle
Isaac Wright age 40 widower Publican
Sarah a age 17
Annie age 13
William age 10
Frederick age 8
Ernest age 6

I don't know of any other Public house in 1881/1901 but the Wheatsheaf in that part of the High Street.

I see that Frederick is Ernests next of kin on CWGC

The Thiepval memorial contains the names of men whose bodies were never found ,I think the roll call is 60,000.
It is a beautiful serene place ,silent except for the birdsong,I found it extremely moving when I went there.

1891 Brookhouses
Blacksmiths shop
William Harris age 59 blacksmith
Lydia age 60
Thomas age 31 Blacksmith
Olive age 27 Dressmaker
George age 21 Blacksmith all b. Cheadle

living next door to my relatives the Paddy family.

Hello Paul

The two numbers that you mention belong to two soldiers in The Royal Warwicks both with the same name Ernest Wright.

Your relation, 17489, Pte E Wright, 14 RWR, was killed during the attack on Wedge Wood/Falfemont Farm trench area.

The other E Wright 15042, was a 21 year old from Nuneaton serving in the 10th RWR and was killed on 12 Oct 1916 and is now buried in Grandcourt Road, cemetery.

Regards

Terry

Ernest Wright

Hi Paul,
Ernest Wright ,Private 17489 West Yorkshire Regiment
(Prince of Wales Own) died 7th Oct 1916 buried at
Theipal , Commonwealth War Grave ,Pier & Face 2,,A2C and D
Located Baupaume to Albert Road (Road D73)
Brother of Mr F Wright, Brook House ,Cheadle, Staffs
Best regards, John Y :)

John Y

The Ernest Wright that you mention was from Beverley, Yorks and served in the 11th Bn West Yorks Regt. Service No.21514.

Regards

Terry

Correction info

Yo Terry, much obliged for correction :rolleyes: got the two crossed
mmh think i need glasses,

Yo Paul, the corrected version as on the C W G C,
This is free to search & you can get printout of Memorial with
details & location of Cemetery.

Private Ernest Wright 17489 age 42 died 3rd Sept 1916
Royal Warwickshire Regiment
Thiepal Cemetery, Pier and Face 9,, A9B and 10B
Brother of Mr F Wright of Brook House, Cheadle, Staffs

Thanks to Terry & best regards Paul,, John Y

Many thanks to all of you for the information and interest. I'll pm Alberta as my family is redolent with Wrights and Harris'.

Terry - may I ask how you know where Ernest Wright was killed? At some point I managed to trace which company he was in and where they were involved but lost the information in a house move!

I'd also be interested in knowing whether and when he volunteered.

Thanks very much.

I think the Birmingham Pals forum was closed down due to unsuitable and rubbishy posts by people who had no interest in the Pals or anything else decent.

Thanks everyone very much indeed.

Terry,

A tough one for you but my grandfather George Harris may have signed up at the same time as his brother-in-law Ernest Wright. Are there any/many George Wrights listed in the 14 Bn RWR?

Thanks very much

Paul

Hi Paul, In the original volunteers there was only 1 more Wright, he was Pte 288 A.Wright and he was killed on 27/07/1916 and is buried in Caterpillar Valley Cemetry.

Chucka

Thanks very much Chucka

Got my names wrong.... Are there any George Harris listed for RWR?

Otherwise does anyone have any other bright ideas?

I have his date of birth (to within 3 months)

There are no medal cards for him (suspect destroyed)

Hi Paul, There are no Harris's with the initial G in the 14th or 15th Bts, but there are 2 original voluntees in the 16th Bt RWR, the first is: Pte 907 G.M Harris, but the most likely one for you is: Pte 341 G. Harris, KIA 16/04/1917, he is buried at La Chaudier Militry Cemetry.

Chucka

Paul

There are loads of soldiers with the name of George Harris that served in the Royal Warwicks and the rest of the army in WW1. The Medal Index cards, do not give addresses or dates of birth.
Now, if he was born in Edgbaston and served in the Australian army in WW1 I could help you. I have come accross a George Harris on the Aussie archives.

Terry

Alberta
Who are the Wrights in your tree? George Harris is my great grandfather and Ann his wife. We have Frederick's bible at home.

A belated thanks to everyone else for their help.

Paul, my Wright is Mary Lizzie born 1880 Cheadle ,she was the daughter of George Edward born December 1848.
George Edward was the brother of Isaac and son of William and Ann.
They were not very inventive with names as Mary Lizzie had brothers Ernest who was born 1874 and Frederick born 1872.
George Edward was a Collier but later Colliery Manager.They lived 1881 Chapel Street,1891/1901 Tape Street.
Mary Lizzie is an 'inlaw' so I hadn't really 'gone into' her tree before but I know she had a brother killed in WW1.
Of the 2 Ernests one was registered December 1873 name just Ernest Wright,the other Sept 1874 name Ernest James Wright.Problem is I don't know which one is mine.

Last edited:
Back