• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prospect Place Hockley Brook

barrie

master brummie
I was recently contacted by an old school friend, we hadn't met for over 60 years, and he contacted me through this site!

During our telephone chat, he mentioned the book that is the title of this thread, so I googled the title, found it on Amazon, and it arrived today. It is a cracking read, all about Hockley Brook and its surroundings. The only complaint I have is, when he was describing Hunters Road, he says there was an alley at the side of the Bridge Tavern, but he thought that all that was down there was a builders yard.

It was down that alley that me and Billy lived with our respective families, there was also Savilles that cleaned out beer barrels, and Brook Welding where Billy went to work when he left school, I went to work at Abbotts of Lozells.

The book is a cracking read for anyone from that area.

Barrie.

thanks barrie..i am trying to get hold of this book...will look on amazon..by the way did you ever find a pic of the bridge tavern...

lyn

barrie its also evaded me ever since you first mentioned it..will run another search for you tomorrow...

lyn

Hi Barrie
nice to hear from you again have not heard from you in a while
was,nt abbotts the furnishing shops of lozells as i seem to remember was they by the street crossings
i also remember the brook weilding company as well and the building of the new halfords
buildings before they bought it and rebuilt that office block after there old building
got burnt down oppersite the fire station andwhen that complex was finished they relocated at hockley brook
i hate to say but i think your friend is correct tere was a builders yard but i am trying to think of the name ;
have a nice barry even thou its a bit murky here in worcestershire i hope its better in brum
best wishes astonion ;;

Hi Astonian. There was never a builders yard down "our" alley. Savilles the beer barrel cleaners had been there for donkey's years, next door to them was a firm that made gravestones (think it was called Savoronies or something like that) After the gravestone people closed down, thats when Brook Welding moved in. The houses in the alley, which was called Prospect Place, but we called it Poverty Place, were all owned by Mr Pember, he lived up in the "posh" part of Hunters Road, at the top of the hill.

Barrie.

Barrie there is a follow up called An Overflow from Hockley Brook" which I havent read myself, but hopefully as good as Paddle in Hockley Brook

I have the book somewhere and I loved every page even though I only knew Hockley through working at Lucas.

Back