• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Private Sidney Whiley died 1916

Samina

proper brummie kid
Hi all,

Does anyone have any information on a Private Sidney Whiley, Machine Gun Corps. Killed in action 16th September 1916, interred at Hielly cemetery, France.

Looking for any info at all.

Thank you

Hi Samina. Think this is his medal index card

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1414145769.944674.jpg

Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And a transcript of Soldiers who died in the Great War. V.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1414145996.468980.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow thank you so much Viv! There are two more medical cards that i would like to access, would i need to start a new thread for them?

They are Private Charles Gordin killed 1915

and Private Arhur Thursfield killed 1915

Apologies if i need to start a new thread

Hi Samina

Pte Sidney Whiley is remembered on the Holy Trinity Church War Memorial. The church is on the Junction of Birchfield Rd & Trinity Rd Handsworth. He is also remembered in the Birmingham Roll of Honour serving with the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry. [TABLE="width: 803"]
[TR]
[TD]Son of Walter and Eleanor Whiley, of 101, Stamford Rd., Handsworth, Birmingham. Native of Manchester.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Pte 8898 Arthur Thursfield 2nd Bn. Ox & Bucks Light Infantry. KIA 31/05/1915 aged 19. Son of Alfred & Emma Thursfield of 175 Crompton Rd, Handsworth, Birmingham. Born Aston Birmingham, Enlisted Birmingham and lived in Handsworth Birmingham. Buried Dud Corner Cemetery Loos France. Remembered on the St Marys Church War Memorial Handsworth also the Birmingham Roll of Honour.

Pte 8465 Charles Lester Gordin 1/5th Bn South Staffordshire Regiment. KIA 13/10/15. Remembered on the Loos Memorial France. Born Birmingham Enlisted Handsworth Birmingham.

Hope this is of help

Tony

Back