• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prince of Wales Nechells

James_the_3rd

master brummie
I used to drink in the Prince in the 1960s . I had my stag night there in December 1966. Would love to hear from anyone who drank in there around that time.

Hi James

I assume you are talking about this Prince of Wales? One of the few pubs in the Nechells area that I never used I'm afraid.

Attachments

• Nechells Long Acre Prince of Wales.jpg
    Nechells Long Acre Prince of Wales.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 40
Hi folks - I am looking for a Prince of Wales that was on Loxton St/Gt Francis St around 1905 -- I'm not real clear on B'ham locations though -- Could this be the one? That is - is Loxton/Gt Francis in the Nechells area??? thanks embee

hi embee the pic on post 2 is not the prince of wales pub you are looking for....maybe phil has one of the one thats was on loxton st/gt francis st...i dont think that i have one but will have a look and post it if i have

hi embee the pic on post 2 is not the prince of wales pub you are looking for....maybe phil has one of the one thats was on loxton st/gt francis st...i dont think that i have one but will have a look and post it if i have

Ok thanks - i was thinking it probably wasn't as I know someone else was looking for a pic of this Prince of Wales as well. Thought I'd just post all the pubs I am looking for:

1) Hop Pole on Sherlock St; relative was there in 1911 census;
2) White Horse Inn on Moor St; relative there was in 1901 census;
3 ) Bulls Head on Pritchett St (did get a pic of this pub on this forum already- thanks!)
4 ) Prince of Wales on Loxton/Gt. Francis St; relative was last there around 1905.

Turns out half my ancestors were managing pubs in B'ham (I don't know if they were actually owners).
I just thought I'd throw this list out in case anyone recognizes any of these.... thanks, embee

Its unlikely they were owners, unless the family was well off, but needn't have been managers either, as they could have been tenants who pay a rental and buy the fittings and current stock when they come in, and (hopefully) get their money back from the next tenant

I don't think any of the families were well off - - in probate and on census/baptismal info it always lists the Pub with the people's names, but then its true the pub seemed to float away to someone else, so I would guess tenant is probably correct... We don't really have pub tenants in the US - either you own it, or you work there.... And none of my family either owns one OR works in one these days :) ..... thanks a lot, embee

Evening All,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to provide any information on the names of Landlords who ran The Prince of Wales Public House (Nechells we think) between 1950 - 1975

I apologies in advance for the sketchy dates, I am doing some research for a friend of the family and they are sure they had family members who may have ran the pub between these dates

Thank you in advance for all your help and time with this

Evening All,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to provide any information on the names of Landlords who ran The Prince of Wales Public House (Nechells we think) between 1950 - 1975

I apologies in advance for the sketchy dates, I am doing some research for a friend of the family and they are sure they had family members who may have ran the pub between these dates

Thank you in advance for all your help and time with this

it may help if you can provide us with the name you are researching
lyn

The following I have from directories and electoral rolls

1950 Herbert Thomas Smith

1952, 1955 John H. Roberts

1956, 1957 Ronald Allaway

1960 Vera & Norman Gregory

1962 Leslie W. French

1965 Stephen Griffiths

Hi MikeJee,

Thanks again for the information you have provided and for your prompt response, I will speak with the friend of the family and see if they recognise any of the names in your message above

This website is absolutely brilliant, the people on here are so friendly, polite, helpful and full of information, yourself and pjmburns have been very helpful since I became a member

Wonderful community spirit and people’s memories are amazing to read

Back