• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prince Albert Street

Helen G

Almost a Brummie
According to the 1911 census, Elsie May Woodyatt had been born in Prince Albert Street Birmingahm in 1893. At the time her parents were living at 25/27 Bishop Street and indeed all her siblings were born at 27 Bishop Street.

Can anyone tell me what was going on in Prince Albert Street in 1893 that might of caused her to be born there? Was there some sort of maternity hospital there? or a midwife?

While your reading this maybe you could come up with a suggestion to answer the following riddle.

Thomas Woodyatt married Susan in 1886. They are listed together on every census until the 1911 census when Thomas Woodyatt describes himself as a widower. However, when he dies in 1916 he leaves all his estate and his business to his wife Susan and she carries on running the business until her death in 1936. (Oh and she didn't die and he married again a woman by the same name)

So, where was she in 1911? I can't find her anywhere!!

Thanks for reading this
Helen

Nothing seems to be listed for 27 Prince albert st for more than 10 years either side of that year.
Mike

Thanks for the post Bammot but unfortunately I can't enlarge your images enough to be able to read them. Not sure if its my computer, my verifocal or the elderflower wine I'm tucking into, possibly a combination of all three!!

but thanks for trying
helen

Just discovered via another thred how to open your images so I can read them. Thanks for taking the trouble. The Bishop Street info shows that my Woodyatt branch were there but the Prince Albert street info gives me no clues as to why one of them was born there. Will just have to get the birth certificae to see.

Many thanks for your help
Helen

Hi Helen

Here's the Prince Albert Street listing for 1892. You may recognise a family member. Maybe the carpenter?

Also from the same year, a good description of the Woodyatt's wares.

Thomas Woodyatt's entry was really interesting, I hadn't realised just how many types of light wooden boxes there were!!

Unfortunately, don't recognise any of the names on the prince albert street entries as yet. Susan's maiden name was Lawson and they both came from Gloucester so I wouldn't expect there to be many family locally. Maybe Susan went into labour while she was visiting one of the premises and Elsie May was born too quick to get home?

I'll just have to get the certificate

Many many thanks for your help
Helen

hi i am looking for a ethel may madden nee bennett and a arthur madden living at 54 prince albert street,aston in 1912,i tried to look for the house number in the images above but its not there,is there any way of accessing the page with number 54 on?also arthur madden worked for corporation tramway shedman,was this nearby does anybody know?his father was ambrose madden a mechanic,sound familiar to anyone?arthur madden was killed in the first world war in 1918,does anybody know which regiment he would be likely to be in in aston?

thank you samantha

Samantha
Directories didn't include all houses, and not always every single business. If there was no-one in when the Kellys person called then it might very well be left out.If the person was lazy some might be left out. If it was a poor area it was even more likely to be left out, and , of course, if someone didn't want there name in then it would be missed out. No 54 is not listed in 1912. However the electoral roll for 1912 (which would only include those eligible to vote and would not therefore generally include women) lists Walter Harley Cope (succesive) in 1912. I believe successive means the occupier changed over the year. Also listed is Joseph Bennett at 10 Wyndcliffe road (successive) and 54 Prince Albert St. I think this meand Joseph moved into Prince albert St during the year from wyndcliffe road, but am not certain it isn't the other way round (P A St to wyndcliffe)
Mike

The area you lived in didn't always dictate which regiment you ended up in during WW1 (or 2 for that matter)

While it is possible that your Arthur Madden joined a Pals regiment he may also have been in a none local regiment. For example, on Ancestry they are some records of an Arthur Madden who lived in Birmingham and was in a private in the Duke of Cambridge's own who died 22 march 1918.

Any chance this could be your Arthur Madden?

Helen

PS I seem to remember seeing on an old map of brum that there was a tram shed quite near the address you mention. I'll see if I can find the map
Helen

Arthur Madden of the Duke of Cambridge's Own that I have found on Ancestry appears to have been your man trouble is Ancestry is proving very slow tonight!!

Did he have three children Ivy born 13/4/12, Florence Elsie b 23/7/13 and I think it says Arthur Harry 25/12/?

If this is your man Ancestry have the burnt records for him as well as the medal rolls and he is also listed on the role of honour.

Let me know if you need more info
Helen

thank you all so much who have answered me,you all seem to be on the right track and have given me valuable information...

helen g: yes!!!that is the right arthur madden,could you send me the link to where the information you found is?thank you so much this is fascinating...

Sorry for the delay in replying, we have been away for a few days.

I got all the information from ancestry.co.uk. listed under military records are the Medal Roll cards and WW1 service records etc. I think you probably need a subscription to access these particular records or you can search the National Archives https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ for free but I think you have to pay to download the document.

hope this helps

Helen

Back