• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Potters Hill/lane

Eric Gibson

master brummie
My parents were Aston born and bred mom went to Upper Thoms Street school and lived on Tower Road until she married in 1931. My dads parents were in Bartons Bank in 1920.
When I married in 1952 I moved in with my in laws at Potters Hill and my wife worked in a press shop at one of the local factories.
Mom's maiden name was Coughlin and her mother's maiden name was Taylor. Dads mothers maiden name was Hodgetts and her father was a silversmith. E.

HI Eric
just read your thread with intrest to your yester years of potters hill can you remember what was the name of the little side gully rd that was on the oppersite side of park lane the one where you would walk down to the thearter
and the side of the the orinional shareholders pub and to the barton arms ;
there was a row of old terrace house down that side rd which also took you to the house of jack built in those days
it was in fact a walk way not for through traffic in those days
my grand mother was living in potters hill and i beleive my grand parents had some kind of bussiness there there name was hintons in potters hill
but my main reason for this question is i am trying to pin point a family name on cencus for that other side of the rd so if or any body else could oblidge i would be very grateful to know that litte side rd name
many thanks astonian ;;;

Astonian, it was Potter's LANE, the Shareholders pub was on the corner of Park Lane and Potter's Lane, leading off to the left going down to the Aston Hippodrome was Barton Street which ran parallel to Park Lane, and at the other - far end - it lead back into Park Lane. I hope that this is clear and helps you.

hi lynn
many thanks for your help and for getting me a map on the thread for me
i knew there was a little side street on the left of the old share holders pub and i can recall those
tiny little terrace houses and you walked down to the thearter but for the love nor money i could not recall the name of that little street, thanks again
and i want to thank sylvia for giving me the name of the street as well;
that was very important to me and my research ; as a researchg the robinsons family which i have
just learnt from some-one thatwas the street they lived in during the early years of those early terrace houses
there fore i would like to asked if any one whom as a little spare time to do a cenus check for me
and could possible give me the names of the robinsons family and the house number
that they was living in at the time in barton rd for the period of the fifties possible 56-58 years
or even before that ; thanks a milliom guys
best wishes as always Astonian ; alan ;

glad the map was of help alan...by the way i popped into the union the other day and ive posted some pics on the forum...

lyn

hi lyn
how are you keeping fine i hope ;
as i have been abscent the last few days and i got back last nigt i have not seen the union thread yet but i will most certainly look in a moment many thanks in advance for putting the picutures up on the thread lynn
any idea of when they might be closing the doors for the last time lynn ; speak soon and keep the good work up what you are doing for all of us on the thread have a good day alan ;

i am ok thanks alan..we think the pub will close in about 6 to 8 weeks so you have plenty of time to have that last brandy...

lyn

Image92.jpg

When i was a lad,my mom used to send me to this shop for a cottage loaf,as it was dads preference.It must have been at least 1/2 a mile from home.Moss.

HI Eric
just read your thread with intrest to your yester years of potters hill can you remember what was the name of the little side gully rd that was on the oppersite side of park lane the one where you would walk down to the thearter
and the side of the the orinional shareholders pub and to the barton arms ;
there was a row of old terrace house down that side rd which also took you to the house of jack built in those days
it was in fact a walk way not for through traffic in those days
my grand mother was living in potters hill and i beleive my grand parents had some kind of bussiness there there name was hintons in potters hill
but my main reason for this question is i am trying to pin point a family name on cencus for that other side of the rd so if or any body else could oblidge i would be very grateful to know that litte side rd name
many thanks astonian ;;;
Hello all
Don't know if anyone's watching this thread but my father worked for a building firm in potters hill I believe they were called Pratts .
I can remember going with him to light light the boiler on a Sunday to get the office warm for the start of the week.

Welcome to the Forum, Bobrg. Yes, we watch all postings, and hopefully someone will come along that might remember Pratts. Keep checking back and do make use of the Search facility - top right of every page - as not all photographs are necessarily in the thread of the same name, despite the bests efforts of our wonderful moderators to try and keep the place tidy. Have fun and enjoy the old pictures and stories.

Maurice :cool:

Hello all
Don't know if anyone's watching this thread but my father worked for a building firm in potters hill I believe they were called Pratts .
I can remember going with him to light light the boiler on a Sunday to get the office warm for the start of the week.
There was a H. Pratt Plumbers in Potter's Lane, could it be that one?

Attachments

• H. Pratt Plumbers.jpg
    H. Pratt Plumbers.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 8
if you use the search box there should be a few photos of potters lane dotted about the forum

lyn

Not many pictures of Potter's Lane, I only have these 2 neither of which show the factory unfortunately. Second picture shows the area where the factory would have stood.

Attachments

• potterslane53.jpg
    potterslane53.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 22
  • barton arms 4.jpg
    barton arms 4.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 20
Hadn't seen the second one before, Brummy-Lad, and I'm guessing about 1964 - all the houses gone, but they hadn't got around to building those ghastly tower blocks. Many thanks.

Maurice :cool:

Hello all
My mother worked at Pratts from around 1943 to 1954

Back