• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Potters Hill Aston

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i have got about12 photos of potters hill folks and have looked to see if we already a thread ..i cant find one but if anyone else can could you let me know so that i can post them in the correct place thanks

lyn

thanks alan potters lane started at the bartons arms and ended at park lane...it then continued up and that was called potters hill...i still cant find a thread just for potters hill so i will post my photos on there asap as i think they all may need re sizing

lyn

Last edited:
last few...no objections to these photos being posted and shared on the net but could i just ask that if you do this please acknowledge the birmingham history forum ..thank you...hover over the photos to see the dates etcAston Potters Hill - Park Lane.jpgPotters Hill Aston 1960s.jpgPotters Hill Austins of Aston 6-2-1958.jpgPotters Hill No 38 Aston 28-1-1955.jpgPotters Hill No 46-48 Austins of Aston 5-2-1959.jpg

lyn

Last edited:
I have posted some of these years ago either on here or one of the facebook sites I was once was a member of....But ....They are still great to see again, and for those who have never seen them its a magical trip back in time ....

I particularly like 1955 photo. The two small shops, almost mini supermarkets, in what they appear to sell. One thing looks for sure and that s that Potters Hill is, indeed, a hill!

I have posted some of these years ago either on here or one of the facebook sites I was once was a member of....But ....They are still great to see again, and for those who have never seen them its a magical trip back in time ....

hi john i dont think they have been on this forum before at least i cant find them but as you say its a magical trip back in time and i do so miss seeing these old streets...

lyn

The cafe at the bottom of Potters Hill is where I and a few of my school mates would meet instead of going to school, one day a stranger wearing a suit came into the cafe, we all thought he was the school board man, we all dashed out the back and tried to climb the wall to get out, he followed us out, but he only wanted to use to toilet.....god knows who he was, but he wasn't the school board man.....

The cafe at the bottom of Potters Hill is where I and a few of my school mates would meet instead of going to school, one day a stranger wearing a suit came into the cafe, we all thought he was the school board man, we all dashed out the back and tried to climb the wall to get out, he followed us out, but he only wanted to use to toilet.....god knows who he was, but he wasn't the school board man.....
school board man that is a name i remember lol

The Sanders chemist one has been on before, that's where my cousin Victor worked as a school leaver, he went on to take it over when Sanders retired.

Thanks Lyn for the photos.................now if you can do the same for Barton's Bank :) that's where Maurice (Sospiri) and I had family in the same court.

eric look at post 1470 on the below thread... posted earlier today the only one i have of bartons bank

eric look at post 1470 on the below thread... posted earlier today the only one i have of bartons bank

Great pic of Barton's Bank which I have not seen before, I realise that a lot more pictures have surfaced since I created the interactive map of Park Lane and surrounding area. I will try to update this in the near future.

Edited 6/7/23 website address is now:

www.leroux.co.uk/aston

Last edited:
Does anyone know when Wm Taylor's Drapers shop closed? I remember being dragged up Potters Hill on several occasions, as it was one of Mom's favourite shops for fabric. She used to threaten to take me to Mr Lacey if I didn't behave...

G

Who was Mr Lacey? Golden Sovereign 36d, what a strange way to advertise the price presumably it was pre decimlisatoon and 3bob. But I cannot remember them at all and I did not stop smoking until 1975
Bob

Who was Mr Lacey? Golden Sovereign 36d, what a strange way to advertise the price presumably it was pre decimlisatoon and 3bob. But I cannot remember them at all and I did not stop smoking until 1975
Bob
Bob
Who was Mr Lacey?
there's a clue in the window (you have to open wide)

There's an apostrophe after the 3'6d = 3 shillings and sixpence

Attachments

• Potters Hill - Clifton Road Aston 11-9-1969.jpg
    Potters Hill - Clifton Road Aston 11-9-1969.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
last few...no objections to these photos being posted and shared on the net but could i just ask that if you do this please acknowledge the birmingham history forum ..thank you...hover over the photos to see the dates etcView attachment 136361View attachment 136362View attachment 136363View attachment 136364View attachment 136365

lyn
Thanks for posting these a lovely surprise, had not seen this thread untill today

3/6d for a pack of fags wow, I recall someone complaining when he could no longer but a pint and a pack of fags for less than a pound.

A question what became of Austin's of Aston ?, I see they sold many makes, of course in todays climate that could not happen, but I do notice the company used the same font that the Austin Motor Car Company used for their name.

last few...no objections to these photos being posted and shared on the net but could i just ask that if you do this please acknowledge the birmingham history forum ..thank you...hover over the photos to see the dates etcView attachment 136361View attachment 136362View attachment 136363View attachment 136364View attachment 136365

lyn
I was curious about W.M.Taylor who was a draper and furnisher. This thread (picture 3) seems to be the only photo on BHF and that appears to be after he ceased trading. However despite all the car publicity there is a good 'ghost sign' with Taylor's name and business description at roof level.
Mr. Taylor must have had a very good business in the past as I noticed an advert on tram (car 832 on route 36 Cotteridge), a photo taken early 1952 not long before closure of the tram route.
Generally tram adverts seemed to be those advertising, well known, large companies, but it seems post war many local companies had their adverts on trams. Maybe it was due to the trams having not long to so before withdrawal and short term contracts were a possibility. Just a guess.
Another Aston company to advertise on trams was Black's of High Street. Car 817, Cotteridge route, was photographed in
post war livery. Blacks, also drapers were mentioned in the High Street, Aston thread and elsewhere on BHF I think.

I was curious about W.M.Taylor who was a draper and furnisher. This thread (picture 3) seems to be the only photo on BHF and that appears to be after he ceased trading. However despite all the car publicity there is a good 'ghost sign' with Taylor's name and business description at roof level.
Mr. Taylor must have had a very good business in the past as I noticed an advert on tram (car 832 on route 36 Cotteridge), a photo taken early 1952 not long before closure of the tram route.
Generally tram adverts seemed to be those advertising, well known, large companies, but it seems post war many local companies had their adverts on trams. Maybe it was due to the trams having not long to so before withdrawal and short term contracts were a possibility. Just a guess.
Another Aston company to advertise on trams was Black's of High Street. Car 817, Cotteridge route, was photographed in
post war livery. Blacks, also drapers were mentioned in the High Street, Aston thread and elsewhere on BHF I think.

W.H Taylor & Sons, drapers started in 1887 in the front room of a house in Potters Hill, Aston.
William Munton Taylor came to Birmingham to take up a position at Newbury's General Store, (Just imagine 'Fortnum & Mason London'). Newburys stood on the old Lewis's site in Birmingham. to help supplement the family income, Mrs Taylor opened her own little shop in the front room of their house. When Mr Taylor gave up his position rather than sack a member of his staff he joined his wife in the business. From this the business grew into a Ltd company and branches were opened in Erdington, Kings Heath, Sutton Coldfield and Solihull. The Erdington Branch was rebuilt in 1969. And then in the October of 1971 the store was purchased by Owen Owen.

Image from Stephen Birch Birmingham Library Images.
W.M.TAYLOR & SON.
HIGH STREET, ERDINGTON 1950
wmtaylors.jpg

Last edited:
Just looking back through the photos I'm scratching my head about the Austins of Aston photo, the posh building on a corner, where was that, it's not the ex Taylors shop which was in Potter's Hill opposite the end of Barton's Bank.

Back