• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Poly-Olbion c1620 by Drayton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidan

master brummie
The Poly-Olbion is a topographical poem describing England and Wales. Written by Michael Drayton and published in 1612, it was reprinted with a second part in 1622. Drayton had been working on the project since at least 1598.

The poem is divided into thirty songs, written in alexandrine couplets, consisting in total of almost 15,000 lines of verse. Drayton intended to compose a further part to cover Scotland, but no part of this work is known to have survived. Each song describes between one and three counties, describing their topography, traditions and histories. Copies were illustrated with maps of each county, drawn by William Hole, whereon places were depicted anthropomorphically.

The first book was accompanied by historical summaries written by John Selden. The work is almost never read as a whole, but is an important source for the period. The reason is that it is difficult and barren in the extreme. It was, he tells us, a "Herculean toil" to him to compose it, and we are conscious of the effort. The metre in which it is composed, a couplet of alexandrines, like the French classical measure, is wholly unsuited to the English language, and becomes excessively wearisome to the reader, who forgets the learning and ingenuity of the poet in labouring through the harsh and overgrown lines. His historical poems, which he was constantly rewriting and improving, are believed by many to be much more interesting, and often rise to a true poetic eloquence.

Warwickshire is covered between Songs 12-14. Song 13 is Drayton's main description of Warwickshire, "the hart of England . . . My Native Country." https://books.google.com/books?id=Gwns4YJl5CQC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA212-IA1#v=onepage&q&f=false Opening personal comments and supreme praise for Arden Forest are followed by four set pieces, with very little of the usual connective survey. A long excursion into Arden names its birds, dramatizes the hunting of deer, and describes the retired life of a herb-gatherer/hermit. The history of Coventry (with references to Ursula's virgins and Lady Godiva) is the occasion for a panegyric upon Ann Goodere, the woman Drayton honored throughout his career. As Guy's Cliffe is reached, a short song lists Guy of Warwick's famous deeds. Red Horse Vale boasts of her good qualities in comparison to those of other valleys and complains that she has been neglected, "as all noble things," by "the wretched time."

The section opens with the county map showing the valley of the river Avon and the main towns of Coventry and Warwick. The spirits of the rivers, including the Avon & Rea are shown as part of the county legend, between the main centres of population in Coventry, Warwick and Tamworth. The modern city of Birmingham did not become a major settlement until the industrial revolution in the eighteenth century, and does not figure in the Elizabethan county map although (fortunately) p.256 mentions Bermingham in relation to the Roman Roads (Icknield, Ricknield, Watling St & Fosse Way).

Can anyone spot any other bits of interest please, anyone studied it perchance?

Last edited:
The frontispiece, here with a small amount of hand-gilding added afterwards, shows Britannia clothed in a robe depicting the various rivers and cities of the nation, whilst surrounded by her four lovers and conquerors: Brute, Caesar, Hengest and William of Normandy. The title suggests the Greek for ‘Many Blessings’, but also hints at the many-faceted nature of nascent Albion, which the poem aims to reconcile, in emulation of the reign of James I, King of England, Wales and Scotland.

Leaf through the prologue at https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corporate/pages.nsf/Links/312C67A56011F2A180257410004136C4 pity we can't feel the velum

Michael Drayton (Pictured in 1599 & 1628) was born in 1563 at Hartshill in Warwickshire and often visited Clifford Chambers, a village close to Stratford. Drayton's poetry was well-known in his time and Dr John Hall, Shakespeare's son-in-law, when noting his treatment of Drayton, described him as 'an excellent poet'. See Poems: by Michael Drayton esquire. Newly corrected by the author. London, [by ?W. Stansby] for John Smethwicke, 1610 and other works at https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/d#a6061

Between 1597 and 1602 Drayton worked with Philip Henslowe and the actors known as the Admiral's Men on about twenty plays. It was about this time that Drayton and Shakespeare may have been acquainted. According to John Ward, writing in the 1660s, Shakespeare had a 'merrie meeting' with Drayton, and the playwright Ben Jonson in 1616, after which Shakespeare became ill and died. There is a tradition that he was a friend of Shakespeare, supported by a statement of John Ward, once vicar of Stratford-on-Avon, that "Shakespear, Drayton and Ben Jonson had a merry meeting, and it seems, drank too hard, for Shakespear died of a feavour there contracted."

Musicmakers by the River Severn - plate between p.54 & p.55 (Pictured)
Queen Elizabeth I was skilled on the virginals, (a keyboard instrument, popular for accompaniment of singers), and all classes of society were encouraged to sing, or play instruments. Shakespeare was familiar with the musicians of the court and the theatre, but many of his lesser characters are musical too. Shakespeare’s countryfolk in The Winter’s Tale are familiar with the tunes of a popular ballad that Autolycus has for sale from his pedlar’s pack. ‘We can both sing it. If thou’lt bear a part thou shalt hear; ‘tis in three parts’ ‘We had the tune on‘t a month ago', say country-girls Dorcas and Mopsa. (4.4). Bottom, the weaver in A Midsummer Night’s Dream admits ‘I have a reasonably good ear in music. '(4.1), while in As You Like It (5.3) Touchstone finds two pages in the forest to sing ‘It was a lover and his lass...’ with him, and songs intended to accompany the amateur entertainment in Love’s Labour’s Lost end that play (5.2).

See: The Winter’s Tale, 4,4, lines 291-292.
A Midsummer Night’s Dream, 4,1, lines 27-29.
As You Like It, 5,3, lines 6-43.
Love’s Labour’s Lost, 5,2, lines 877-911.

Last edited:
... The metre in which it is composed, a couplet of alexandrines, like the French classical measure, is wholly unsuited to the English language, and becomes excessively wearisome to the reader...

Another fascinating thread, Aidan, which will repay further study (tomorrow).

Here's Alexander Pope (via Wikipedia) on both the ploddding and the racing character of the alexandrine meter:
Alexander Pope famously characterized the alexandrine's potential to slow or speed the flow of a poem in two rhyming couplets consisting of an iambic pentameter followed by an alexandrine:
A needless alexandrine ends the song
That like a wounded snake, drags its slow length along.​
A few lines later Pope continues:
Not so, when swift Camilla scours the Plain,
Flies o'er th'unbending corn and skims along the Main.​

Well I have ploughed through Drayton's "Song 13", with its idyllic description of a primordial Forest of Arden (which even in 1612 wasn't what it used to be). It was pretty heavy going, not so much because of the alexandrine meter (to which one quickly becomes accustomed), but because of the antiquated and allusive language. I felt the need of a guide or tutor. As you said, there is a rather nice account of Coventry and the "Lady Godiva" legend.

I'm not sure I can add anything intelligent to your excellent account. I did find a fine engraved portrait of our Michael, taken from an archive.org edition of his collected works (see below). Sadly the maps were not included (I have searched in vain for a larger and clearer version of the Warwickshire map you attached in post #1).

Last edited:
Aidan, I "lifted" the map from the Google Books edition and tidied it up a bit. It shows the river systems rather well, even if "Bermingham" was too small a village in 1612 to warrant inclusion.

Loverly - and very clever of you, thanks. I was getting a crooked neck looking at it on Google. It actually manages to make Tamworth and Warwick look enticing.

Tamworth (or should I say Tameworth) has quite some history:

It is 14 miles north-east of Birmingham city centre and takes its name from the River Tame, which flows through the town, as does the River Anker (both shown clearly on the map).

Tamworth has existed since Saxon times and in the reign of King Offa, was the capital of Mercia the largest of all English kingdoms of its time. It was by far the largest town in the Midlands when today's much larger city of Birmingham was still in its infancy. This is largely because of its strategic position at the meeting point of two rivers (the Tame and the Anker), which meant the town was perfectly placed as a centre of trade and industry.

The town was later sacked by Danes in 874. The town remained a ruin until 913 when Ethelfleda, Lady of the Mercians, the daughter of King Alfred the Great, rebuilt the town and constructed a burh to defend the town against further Danish invaders. She made Tamworth her principal residence and died there in 918. In Tamworth church in 926, St Editha was forced to marry to Sihtric the one-eyed Danish King of York and Dublin.

In the 11th century, a Norman castle was built on the probable site of the Saxon fort which still stands to this day as an important tourist attraction. Grants of borough privileges, including rights to a third additional fair in 1588 consolidated Tamworth’s historic importance as ‘the seat of Saxon kings’.

Thanks for raising the Rollright Stones (I wonder who Hrolla was). I've just made myself dizzy viewing the BBC video loop, and gazed with pleasure on the lovely images at the Rollright website. Another place for my "to visit" list.

[Deep time ... mmmmmm!]

The Rollright Stones starred in The Stones of Blood, the 100th storyline in the long-running Dr Who television programme. The first of four episodes was broadcast on 28 October 1978 (the programme's fifteenth anniversary). The picture below (courtesy of Wikipedia) has been grabbed from a DVD (which explains the poor quality).

I am closing this thread as I can see no relevance to the History of Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back