• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Plumleys Bordesley Green

bestcover

knowlegable brummie
My dear old Mom - 94 with moderate dementia asked us to get a toe post from Plumleys - directly after mentioning that she met Mrs (somebody) coming out of her house in Pretoria Road, Bordesley Green (Mom left there in 1950). Was there a Plumbleys in Bordeseley Green? Likely a hardware shop. A toe post apparently is a sort of splint

Thanks Mike - so if we looked at a map of the junction of Pretoria Rd and Bordeseley Green, whereabouts would be No. 451. I used to go to Pretoria Rd most weeks in the late 50's to 60's but cant remember a Plumleys

plumleys was still trading in 2014 here is a street view of it near to the corner with blake lane which is a bit up from pretoria road...its gone now and the building turned into housing

Gosh that's a name from the past. My Aunt and Uncle lived in Victoria Street and were always popping there for something or other, if I recall it was Jim Plumley. They seemed to be around forever, sad but not surprised that they've finally gone.

plumleys was still trading in 2014 here is a street view of it near to the corner with blake lane which is a bit up from pretoria road...its gone now and the building turned into housing

My memory of Plumleys is of a much smaller business which was equivalent to a terrace house. that would be about 60 years ago.

Jim Plumley's on the left.C.1950s.
Yes. That is how it was when I was a cnild. Dad was a carpenter & joiner who became self-employed and worked in the area mainly doing things like new window frames, building porches, replacement doors and glazing etc. Sometimes I would go there with him. I also would go to the cycle shop next door for bicycle repair kits, new tyres and spares for my bike. Tinpot

Back