• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

please help any one

edward

edward
I would be very gratefully if anyone could post pictures of old pubs around
dig beth the ANKER and the barrel which stood in WATERY LANE were I was
born in 1951 and any photos of the digbeth area. has anybody got photos of Kingston hill at
the top end near Mona road there was shops Sweeneys they did bike repairs also shuts the
newsagents, Webb's sold sowing, and wool, over the road in ST Andrews road was a green grocer called peter wall. Is there anyone who remembers the above

Last edited:
A nice little history there, Lloyd! I was particularly interested in the bit about them minting their own tokens.

Way back in the late 1950s, I helped remove the old black lead grate from my mother's house in Albert Road, Kings Heath. I think it was probably the oldest house in the road and suspect it was built in the mid-19th century. As the mantelpiece came away I recovered a number of tokens minted by the Green Man in Sand Street and at that time hadn't a clue what they were. Alas the Green Man, along with Sand Street, are now long since gone and I suspect my mother ditched the tokens when I moved south to Dorset a year or two later.

Maurice

Back