• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Phelps Family (Charles&Elsie) Great Barr

hollyjadex

Brummie babby
I have recently started looking into my family tree, my grandmother believes her father (Charles Henry Phelps born 1902) was married before, before Elsie to Maud Hayward in 1928. We’re wondering if they had any children and my grandmother possibly has a half sister or brother out there somewhere?
Is there anyway to find out more information on the phelps family?

You can register on GRO (if not already). Free to register and search - then you pay for any certs you need.

Than you can search the birth reg for any children born Phelps and with mmn Hayward. You have to enter a year (can use +/- 2 years) then change year. If you start at 1928 then you might get a result.

There is a marriage reg. for a Charles Phelps to a Maud D Hayward Dec qtr 1928 Bham N. There doesn't appear to be any likely children registered.

From just the registration there's no certainty it is your Charles Phelps but as you have other info I assume it is.

I've had another look and it does look like there was a child for Charles & Maud.

Maud appears to have been registered as Maud Daves Hayward, the illegitimate daughter of a William Daves and an Elizabeth Hayward. And there is a birth for a Desmond Phelps mmn Daves-Hayward, Jun qtr 1930 Bham. I think he dies in 1990.

On a side note there appear to be a number of trees on Ancestry that list the parents of Charles Phelps as Harry Phelps & Annie Pulley. I have some doubts about this, though it maybe right.

Henry Phelps age 21 married Annie Pulley, age 24 inHandsworth 14th may 1901,

Charles Henry Phelps baptised Oct 2nd 1902 Hockley., parents Henry and Annie Phelps

1911 has them at Barr Street ,Hockley Henry now as Harry.
Harry age 30.
Annie age 33
Charles age 9

Those are the details that the trees on Ancestry appear to have but I think that that Charles Henry Phelps married an Ellen Chilton in 1926 (Dudley). Lived Jayshaw Road.

I think the Charles Phelps that married Maud D Hayward then Elsie Thomas (much later) was the son of a Charles Phelps and a Hannah Elizabeth Hill.

As said not totally sure.

Back