• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

peaky blinders book

brummie60

master brummie
philip gooderson is doing a talk at waterstones high street, Brum,from 6pm on oct 21st,for details ring 0121 633 4353, steve, possible book signing...

The book is called "The Gangs Of Birmingham" it includes stories of the thugs Known as the peaky blinders. They were quite despicable and scared the faces of many people. Max

I have just bought the very book. Haven't started to read it yet.
Should I read it in a well lit room with plenty of people about!?

Linda :notlooking:

I called Waterstones today and i was told the talk begins at 6.00am Thursday im disappointed that i wont be able to go. Max

I have just finished reading the book about the Sloggers and Peaky Blinders. Quite an eye opener, especially when you realise that streets ancestors lived in either had a 'gang' or it was a place 'slogging took place.
I have to say my sympathies were with the police, they didn't stand a chance.
Before I started looking into family history, trees etc. I used to put a' rosy glow' on the past. It was dammed hard, just to survive , never mind having groups of ne'er do wells taking a dislike to you because you walked down the wrong street!
Has anyone else read it?

Linda

Hi Linda yes this book opened my eyes too. Very scary but well researched and as you say put away those rose tinted glasses. I wonder if my gt grandfather had to replace his shop window after their brawls. On a personal note this book has opened a new chapter for me in my family history. In the section of the book about football there is a mention of Mr T Smith secretary of West Bromwich Albion. I knew my gt grandfather Thomas Smith had some connection to the team but didn't know what. After reading the book I contacted the club. Their historian did some research fo me and I can only say what he found blew me away. It was even in the club minutes that my grandfather designed the club crest with the Throstle still used today. Strange the twists and turns in family history.

I bought the book to give me some idea of what it was like then as I had found that my grandad's brother died aged 18 at about that time. It says on his gravestone that he was 'killed.' When I got a copy of his death certficate, apparantly he died riding his bike too fast! Not nearly what I had been expecting.

got this book for my dads birthday last week, as he remembers being warned about the peaky blinders as a child but never really knew who they were he has started the book so am waiting for his review - will let you all know
Sue

Working my way through the same book, can't imagine what it must have been like to live in those days, been round the back to backs but no way does it give you a feeling for the way they lived in this book! Certainly was a hard life in them days!

My dad used to tell is of the 'Chain Gangs' in Aston in the early years of the last century, I'll order the Peaky Blinders book from Amazon. Thanks for giving the post a nudge.
Wendy, great for you to find so much on your gt. grandfather.

It certainly is an eye opener to most people.

I also found the chapter about the forging of notes and coins fascinating, how the forgers were caught and how they passed the money.

Pleased that you found information about your family history Wendy, amazing where one finds these little nuggets of information.

Be careful out there everyone!

Linda

I bought the Book on Amazon and have just finished reading it. It wasn't a bed of roses livng in the 19th Century was it? I know one of my ancestors served a few months in prison, and I was dreading coming across him in the book. Thankfully he was nowhere to be seen, and I have always assumed he perhaps stole something rather than injured someone.

It certainly opens your eyes to the time though doesn't it Di !! I also have a saying when doing Family History "I don't judge because I wasn't there". Sometimes people were so desperate they stole food for their children or even clothes.

Update now - Dad has finished the book and said it was a really good read - he remembers his grandad talking about the gangs - as a gunmaker, he was well aware of them - and says he can see now how much trouble they must have been.
Am about to start it myself.
Sue

Yes Wendy, I agree about being judgemental. Who knows what we would have done given their circumstances. Which is why I feel better if my ancestor stole rather than hurt another person.

One family featured in the book is the Simpson brothers, my grandmother, Lily Simpson, born in 1892, was, I believe, related to them. She had several brothers with reputations as local boxers including one known as "Knocker" Simpson. For a time Lily was the girlfriend of fair owner Pat Collins but married Martin "Jack" Cain who was, I understand a "Peaky", he died in 1959 when I was seven and always wore his white muffler scarf tied in the distinctive "Peaky" style. One of Lily's brothers, Jack Simpson, owned a bookmakers for many years situated in Barnes Hill.

Back