• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

paupers graves witton.

demoned2

crazy brummie
as you know ive been doing some family tracing, i have discovered my partners grandmother is buried in witton cemetary and we found her grave plot....but we discovered her grandfather who died in 1979 was buried in a paupers grave...yet he had living family...how can this be or happen...?????:rolleyes:

Basically, I should think that it was because his family did not have enough, or could not be found to front up with the money to pay for his burial. a very sad situation. Although I have heard where families have been able and paid for a 'Head Stone' at a later date.

Pom

The quote by Pom heads stones at a later date, can be confirmed.

I do dislike people being described as pauper's, folk who had nothing and in some cases not for the want of trying and then to be marked out in that way. Thats my opinion. Always the one to stand up for the underdog. We all come in with nothing and we all leave with nothing...Cat

011.JPGHere are a couple of examples of public graves with headstones one from Warstone Lane Cemetery and one from Key Hill Cemetery. Families had to pay extra for their names to be put on the headstone. Not all public graves had headstones.

Last edited by a moderator:
You say public, i say pauper lol.....

but thanks for that info it will explain a few things now so cheers :)

Hi Astonite,

I may be able to answer the question of finding unmarked graves.

My great grandmother and my great Uncle were both
buried in "public graves" in Witton, The Cemetary will mark the graves for a short while (and will contact you when they have done so ) , It is a sad sight, the graves are just pegged out with the burial reference number , but at least you are then able to leave a floral tribute or just spend some time alone with them.

Back