• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Lane

chocks2

master brummie
Could someone please tell me where Park Lane Nechells was? or if it actually existed.

Cheers

Chocks

Yea thats what I thought Dek.
A friend at work who lived in Nechells in the 50's ask me if I remember "Ebanezers" in Nechells but after a Forum search the only reference I can find is Park Lane and I wondered if there was one in Nechells..

I did ask him that but he said no. He lived on Nechells Park Rd, But all he can remember was the name "Ebinezers" and that he used to go down Elliot St to get there so I now think it must have been Aston.

same here chocks..i only know of the one in aston...hopefully one of our nechelites can confirm this for you...

lyn

hi jean;
hope you are bth well; as i am;
on the subject of park lane nechells there was never a park lane as correctly you and other friends on our forum
have said ; but i can only say that your friend is slightly confused i suspect he his by calling rocky lane park lane;
because as we all know park lane was from the x up to six ways and rocky lane was from the golden cross up to nechells
and that lead the way to nechells ; and on that subject ; way back in time when you went down rocky lane heading towards
nechells and meaning the old nechells route long before demolitions of any kind and you went up the hill just passing
T I Tubes ltd ; and passing charles henry st up under the bridge when the old houses was there along with thehouses and the coffee shop which was un b the jelfs was there thats wher the boundry changed this was where or just passing the rupert pub they built
as there was no pub there orinionaly only the BRS SERVICES [ PARCEL SERVICES ] so what i am saying is at that point the sign for the change of the district ws met there by the sign stating you are going into nechells boundry even then you are just reached the change from rocky lane
transformed to nechells park rd at the islan

hI GUYS AND CHOCKS
He as mentionion cook street which as we all know is nechells park rd ;as i have said he is getting confused with rocky lane
which runs concurrently coming down from six ways aston and crossing aston cross which them becomes rocky lane as we all know
that in turn passes the nechells park rd as we all knew ;there is not a another park lane within that circle ; but the only conclusion i can come up with is possible the nearest coming on to nechells park rd and rocky lane would have been park street which runs down the back of sandy lane up by the juction of rupert street and almost joined nechells park rd and mixed with rocky lane as i am sure like most of yu have said nechells never had park lane
altertive would have been in his mind possible aston church rd ; is in is mind so living in cook stret would be the only souloution ;of possibilitys
unless i have myself have got a memory problem; which i do not beleive i have thats for certain ;
best wishes astonian;

Sorry I thought he was looking for the Ebanezer church that was on cook street . And yes Park Lane was in Aston Cross

HI Toast ;
glad we could help on that one we all knew that park lane finished at the billard hall aston cross and once over that junction it was rocky lane ;
toast do you recall when the coper used to do point duty on the centre of the cross ;directing the traffic from city centre and crossing over the junction both ways i was born just along the rd from thompsons 5/92 lichfield rd ; and i noticed the other week how they have developed park lane and rupert street and most of the surrounding streets ; but i do not know that you know they never redeveloped our old houses along lichfield rd next to ansells
its a complete bomb peck and its been like that fothaVE BEN GOING DOWN FROM TIMEto time there is only advertising boards
best wishes astonian;

Sorry I thought he was looking for the Ebanezer church that was on cook street . And yes Park Lane was in Aston Cross

Many Thank's Toast.
That's exactly what my friend was looking for. I spoke to him last night and he confirms that that was the place. He was begining to doubt his own memory because no one else remembered the place. My friend lived in the "Chippy" on Nechells Park Rd (corner of Crompton Rd) and he said that he remembers walking down Elliot St to go to a little youth club run by the Church. He always knew it as "Ebanezers". Seems his memory is OK after all.

Back