• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parents of our parents.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
;)You may find this one a little bit more difficult. Dads mom and dad. Moms mom. Moms mom and step dad. Moms dad. I know this sounds awful but I cannot remember my dads parents names. Their graves have gone from Aston church yard and houses were built on them. They died long before I was born. My moms mom was Pemmy [Emily] and her dad was Arther. Her step dad was Tom. TTFN. Jean. Hope you like them.

Last edited:
Gorgeous photos. I'll see if I can find any............this is my Dad's parents wedding picture in 1922.
The other one is of Mom's Dad, taken in Bolton Road, Small Heath

Last edited:
:) Dolphie I remember Bolton road Small Heath. It's where I used to work by Watery Lane. Love your photo's. We are very lucky to have them. The one of my moms dad is very old. I think that's what they did in those days when someone passed away. My mom said he wasn't that old when he died. Dreaded consumption or TB. TTFN. Jean. :(

Great photo's, Jean & Dolphie.

The first is my Uncle Len's wedding, the lady sitting on the extreme left is my Gran Worrall, Granddad is standing behind Uncle Len. The second is my gtgt grandfather Henry Worrall, the last my moms parents Martha & George Horton

View attachment 12986

Last edited:
James___Daug_Rita_Caldecott~0.jpg
Lovely photo's Di here is one of mine. This is one of my favourite photo's My mother with her father James Enoch Caldecott.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my father (in braces!) with his first wife, his brothers and sisters and their children. His mum and dad are far left. Taken in the 30s, I think, the only photo ever taken of the parents and all the siblings together. The picture was 'rescued' after being found in a damp mouldy album, lost for several years in a shed!

Oooh I love all these photos, they're fabulous. Di, I love that one of Henry Worrall....wow, what a striking photo.:)

I just love looking at these photos, they are fantastic.

Here isone of my mother's mother, Rose Martin before her marriage, and one of my mother's father, Thomas Martin. Tom is shown on the right, wearing a hat and smoking a cigarette. He was a carpenter and although I'm not sure of the date of this photo, he is shown with his workmates and it might have been taken when he was working as general foreman carpenter on the huge house building programme that Birmingham Council were working on all along and on both sides of the Yardley wood Road, from Swanshurst Park through Billesley past the Common, eventually including the Haunch at the Valley out to Yardley Wood, Highters Heath and Warstock.

Last edited:
I love this thread also it's simmilar to the Victorian Photo Album Thread. Don't forget to vote on it above "rating".

Here's another photo. These are my paternal grandparents, Albert and Emma Tuck. Not sure when photo taken but would think either late 1920's/early 1930's.

Last edited:
These old family photos are wonderful, I've tried to collect as many as I can of my family and identify them.
I enjoy trying to improve the originals if they're bent and damaged, too - some of my family ones were almost lost having been put out in a shed years ago. I got some of them just in time. Clifford and Olive were my parents.

Lloyd your photo's are lovely. I am like you I have collected a lot over the years. You have made a fantastic job of improving some on the thread brilliant.

Thanks, Wendy. Some in my album were stuck face to face, I had to soak them for ages to separate them, some of the picture was ruined on others and I 'doctored' them on various computer programmes to get them useable again. The ones above I've only spent a few minutes on.
It's fascinating to find old and new pictures of relatives' houses, too.

What brilliant photo's. I see you are wearing the obligitory tank top Lloyd.
I envy you all having these pics, I have none, don't know where they went to be honest.
A great thread
Thank you.

Clarrissa_Jennings_edited.jpg
This is one of my bad ones it was at my cousins house so I just took a photo of it. This is my grandmother Clarissa Jennings she died before I was born.
Ron most of my photo's are from family collections cousins etc. I go everywhere with my digital camera and take photo's of photos. I know its not perfect but at least you have something. My favourite one is on the Victorian Album thread and it was sent to me by a very distant cousin in Plymouth who contacted me through Genes Reunited. Its of my great grandparents and their three daughters. He didn't know who they were but he does now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lloyd 15:54 I am almost 99.99 pc sure that the photograph of Clifford and Olive was taken on the sea front at Torquay,...Cat:)

Yes it is Cat, my copy of the picture says so! Thanks anyway!

That's a difficult picture to repair, Wendy - face area damage has so many changes of hue (and I've only done black and whites so far) the colour changes slightly with every pixel of the digital picture. Having to guess the jaw line makes it worse!
Anyway, I've had a quick go, sorry if she looks like she's been for a skin graft - but photographically, in some areas she has! It's an unusual photo, lit from above on the left rather than from in line with the camera. It must have been done by an 'above average' studio, probably quite an expensive sitting.

Lloyd thanks for that she looks a lot better anyway. I think it may have been for her 21st birthday. My cousin had the original and she has sadly passed away. I would have loved to have got a proper scan instead of just a photograph.

Set One
Mom and Dad with her Mom and Dad
Mom's mother with her sisters
Mom's Mom's parent: my great grandparents Randlolph Prosser Parry b. 1850 and Amelia Checketts b 1849

Set Two
Mom's Dad
Mom's Dad's Mother
Mom's Dad's grandparents, my great great grandparents: Robert Crompton b. about 1807 and Ann Holmes b. about 1801

OMG!:) the photo's are just wonderful, you are very luck to hve so many very old ones. Thanks for posting them I am so enjoying this thread!

!st pic my mothers parents Len and Nelly
2nd pic my fathers parents Ben and Mary

Lovely photo's Mike the one is so relaxed and natural thanks for posting.

Back