• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parachute manufacture in Birmingham during WW2

Leni

Please could anyone tell me which factories in Birmingham area produced parachutes during WW2 and if possible, who were the owners or managers? Thank you.

Welcome Leni. I don’t know of any parachute manufacturers, but maybe one of our members will be able to help you. Viv.

Thanks for your replies. I was told that my maternal grandfather may have owned a garment factory in Birmingham which manufactured silk parachutes during the war but I don’t know any more than that unfortunately.

I wish I could mikejee. I was only told this much through a DNA analysis research contact. This could be the grandparent I never knew.

Please could anyone tell me which factories in Birmingham area produced parachutes during WW2 and if possible, who were the owners or managers? Thank you.
My mom worked making parachutes in Birmingham during WW2. I can't ask her unfortunately to confirm but I think she worked for a company called Ollard, Westcombe & Company

Thanks for your replies. I was told that my maternal grandfather may have owned a garment factory in Birmingham which manufactured silk parachutes during the war but I don’t know any more than that unfortunately.
Hi my great grandad worked making parachutes for the raf in Birmingham ,not sure where about

Back