• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paddington Street

susan wheeler

knowlegable brummie
:courage: Hello,
I wonder if anyone has an ol pic of 'Paddington Street' I think it was in North Birmingham in the 1890's
Thank you

:courage: Hello,
I wonder if anyone has an ol pic of 'Paddington Street' I think it was in North Birmingham in the 1890's
Thank you
A quick search shows one of Lyn's pics of it's corner and the caption mentions it here and it's old '1959' but probably not as old as you want !

oldmohawk

Thank you, it doesn't matter that it's not as old as I want, but it's where my Grt Grandparents lived at that time and
into the 1900's - so happy with it - unless/until a better one may turn up?
thanks again

Thank you again oldmohawk, I do appreciate it. This is a very good site isn't it - always someone there to help - it's what I like doing too
Mary (susan) Wheeler
S Wales

hi mary..if you go to the paddington street thread and look at the the pic mentioned you will see that unfortnuatey it was a wrong caption and the pic is of alma st being demolished...i was so dissapointed to find this out as both myself and my mom were born in paddington st....still no photos of it so the search goes on except for the pic carolina has just posted which only shows a tad of the street...i came accross this pic 4 years back and have been searching for a decent one of the street since then..

lyn

paddington st.jpg

Hi Lyn, I've only just sent you a reply re= Bridge St.
Well that's sad news about Padd; St photo isn't it - especially for you as you and mother born there, never mind, maybe one will turn up one day for us. You may be wondering about this photo I've attached? It's what I found a few years ago but can't remember from what site!! It stated that is was Padd; St; and sadly I've put it into my *Family History Project too! I can see that I'll have to do a lot of checking in *it now! Which will take a while as both my paternal grandparents came down to Wales around 1910, (from dudley and birmingham) so two lots of families to search on! and they did a lot of moving about didn't they!
I did think at the time that they wouldn't be the right type of dwellings for the family at that time - I realise they would have lived in the small ones -or back to backs.
Good luck
Mary

i mary...oh yes i think in those days folk did move around a lot..i was born in my nans back to back in paddington st..dont give up on finding photos though as my motto has always been they are out there somewhere...will just go and read your message re bridge st west....

lyn

Susan

I suppose you found that your photo is indeed of Paddington St, but Paddington St, Marlybone, London.

Phil

Hi Phil,
It most probably is London, as I said it was a while ago - but it must have come up as Birmingham from a search at the time, or maybe I didn't notice - anyway it's deleted from my project now

Back