• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

paddington st

P

pauline bridges

Hi all, Can anyone tell me where Paddington Street would appear in 1891 census? I have searched through Bordesley, Aston, Sutton, Shenstone. Cant find it listed. Help Please

hi pauline. i was born in paddington st. aston. how exactly can i help you.

wales

pauline i dont know if this will help you but here is a map with paddington st on it.

wales

Thanks, i thought it was in Aston ( i grew up in the area myself) but i have been looking on freecen,for rellies i know lived on Paddington St.
and i cant find it listed under Aston, Birmingham, or anywhere else! just thought it may have come under a different area in 1891. or maybe if i could find the parish? Thanks anyway. Pauline

keith if pauline saves the map to her pic she can then zoom in. take now notice of keith pauline lol. depends on how long your rellies lived in paddington. i know you can get name downloads of tenents who lived there in 1920. ive found mine there.

Thanks Wales, I am Looking at 1891 census, and before. I have just found Paddington St listed under the parish of St George, well where else would it be?????
Speaking of St George, i was once Mary in the school nativity at the church, it is sad to think that lovely building is no longer there.
Thanks again Pauline

right click on map click on open link then and left click it will open in large format (zoom)

Yes i have, thats how i found out it is no longer there. I went to St Matthias JI school, and St Georges was 'our' church.

yes ive seen that john. my family are there. the moseleys and the woods. wish we could obtain other years

lyn

Thanks for the file, but i cant open it, apparently its unsupported?? im not good with technology

You are so helpful! but i will wait until tomorrow, my other half is better at this than me. i will let him do it! Goodnight all, from Denmark

Oooh so THIS is where all the Paddington info is! Brilliant! And hi Pauline, didn't know til now you were on here! That Excel spreadsheet is fantastic, I shall print a copy off.

Thanks folks!

hi jayne. as promised this is the best i have. its taken on the corner of paddington st/guildford st. i am desperatly looking for more myself.

lyn ...... i see i have already posted a street map for you.

Brilliant! THanks soooooo much for the piccy! I am thinking of coming up to Brum for a weekend soon so I can spend some time in the Library there!

Thanks again!

not much of a picture i know but better than nowt as they say. i was in the central library again last week searching for pics. no luck but they are coming in all the time

lyn

ive just remembered this map may be of interest to you. if you follow the red dotted line you will see that the old aston brook ran right under paddington st.

wales.

Thanks Wales!

There's so much I have found out today that my head hurts! I am going to sign off now, as my brain is overloaded, and my fiance would appreciate me letting him use the computer for a while!! I've hogged it today!

Catch up with you all later!

ok. i wont be online after tonight till tues night. away for a couple of days. ttfn

lyn

I have been searching my family tree and found that my Great, great grandmother and father lived at 33 Paddington Street in the late 1890's. The name was Joyce and James Potter and their daughter Emma and son Levi and my gran Violet lived with them. Some years earlier, James and Joyce lived at number 4 Paddington Street, but I cant seem to find a number 4?
Does anyone know of the family? This is early days of trying to trace relatives, so any advice would be helpful. I am finding it a bit expensive with having to pay for information off the web. Thanks.

hi there...could it be that the number 4 was actually say 4 back of 10 paddington street...they were back to back houses...

astoness

Yes, you could be right. I think some are flats now looking at the way they are numbered. I think I might have to invest some money into finding out more information on the family. Thanks.

My little pal who I went through Alma St infants and junior school with ( 1958 - 1965 ) lived at 31 Kensington Street, which was the next road down from Paddington as i recall

hi there..looks like we were both at alma st school at the same time...i started the infants in 58 was only there for about 6 months though as we moved to villa st....any pics you may have paddington st would be most appreciated..

cheers..

astoness

hi pauline
my grans mothers name was mary ann haddon born1865
she married richard spratt 1886 st martins ring any bells?

keith.

Back