• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

out with the old in with the new

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
the demise of the exchange buildings..stephenson place...such a great loss of a fine building...the rotunda does nothing for me....

lyn

That's a real find Lyn. Shocking though, when you consider what replaced it. Even the pedestrians seem mystified by what's going on. Viv.

hi viv..not the sort of pic i like to post but it serves as a reminder to us all the wanton destruction that hit our lovely old buildings...

lyn

Know what you mean Lyn. But what a fabulous picture. The old, in the forground, and the new in the rear. If you could only turn the clock back, I would definately have the old back-to-backs again. The atmosphere, and friendship at that time was un-surpassable.

Know what you mean Lyn. But what a fabulous picture. The old, in the forground, and the new in the rear. If you could only turn the clock back, I would definately have the old back-to-backs again. The atmosphere, and friendship at that time was un-surpassable.

i agree bazz its a most unusal shot....i also completely agree with your sentiments about the old days...for me they were the best..

It's an amazing shot Lyn. It captures the old and new aspect of that site perfectly. The Exchange Building was a stunning building and I remember it well as I worked at New Street Station in the late l950's. What was built in it's place is just blah with no architectural merit.
Such a shame the Exchange Building was pulled down.

Must have been the very end section of the Exchange building that was being demolished in Lyn's photo #1 i.e the right-hand edge of this 1890 view of the building.

View attachment 69292

Ignore two photos below of Big Top, posted on new thread, but don't know how to remove photos!

Back