• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Osbornes

• Thread starter Thread starter harborne
  • Start date Start date
H

harborne

Have done a lot more research now and it seems all the Osbornes came from the same family way back in the 16th century. They were nearly all Johns, Josephs, Henrys and Williams and basically, anyone's Osborne family going back that far, in Aston, Birmingham, is distantly related to the famous Ozzie. The only real variations in the name during the period 1602 to 1875 were Osburne and Osborn. Sobering thought to think one family started all of them because there were absolutely loads by 1875.

Harborne

can you help me with my osborne from aston area.Frederick born 20.10.1901 father frederick mother Elizabeth formerly Mcguire born at 6 court 6 cecil street

Sorry, have no knowledge of a Frederick Osborne, and as he was born in 1901 he can't be located on census either. Have you tried 1837 Online or Familyhistoryonline? Failing that, try the BBC Family History Messageboards.

Good luck.

:)

hi , i just seen request for the name osborne born in cecil st im not related at all but our corner shop was run by the family named osborne . There was a david osborne and his wife cant remember her name but they had several daughters evelyn was one of them they were lovely people and if you needed anythink from shop after it was shut they would always serve you at the back door are these your rellies i just remember david,s wife might have been called elsie would love to know has they were always kind to us kids.

Hi There.
My wifes family are Osborne's, they lived in Balsall Heath ending at St Martins Flats before moving to Billesley.Mom & Dad were "Harry" and Lily and the children are Jean,Chris, Rita,Hazel, Johnny, Kenny, Susan, Josie & Pattie.

Hi Windy my family lived at number 53 cecil st the same court as the osbornes who owned the corner shop i remember they had a daughter called ( Pamela ) next door to them lived a family with the surname ( Fenton ), and yes rosie it was a great shop just like the tv series ( open all hours )

Hello Oldun, I worked at Turner Brothers straight from school, and I remember that corner shop, sold just about everything.

They do sound like a nice lot at the shop don't they. Billpat, my grandfather's brother was christened Henry but called Harry. Do you know who your wife's Harry's parents were?

harborne

Hi Rosie.

Your bringing back lots of memories here,like you I never knew Mrs. Osbornes first name but old man Osborne as we used to call him (but not to his face) could be a bit of a cantankerous so & so at times. Do you remember the hand cart & three wheeled wicker cart that used to be at the back of the shop? They also had a son called Norman who used to take some of us lads to the Villa on Saturday afternoons in his A35 van, he was nice chap just like the rest of the family.

Regards
Dave

That does bring back memories,fancy pulling history down to make a b^&%*y car park:crying: where the blue side of that building faces into the old courtyard there was an air raid shelter which we used to play on top of and for many yrs there was a painting which we did above the shelter of matchstick kids playing, our house was at the end of the yellow posts you can see, right where the entrance is osbornes shop was exactly where the cecil st sign is, really brings things back to you:handshake: ty

hi thanks for message i remember the air raid shelter trying to think what house you lived at i lived in house before last next to turners theholmes family were the last house to us i lived at 54 cecil st you might have know my brothers the perry,s . We had the Jacksons other side of the entry i forgot to mention we lived beside the entry and the big telegraph pole on the front of our house a lorry ran into the pole one day lucky really has i think it was heading for our front door. do you remember any of our other neighbours the smiths , daleys, there was an old lady name mrs jefferies she was very good to me i used to get her some shopping and she always bought me ribbon for my hair.

Hi dave , that picture is good its amazing how many houses were in that small space it does bring back memories i have been down there about 4years ago and was surprised theyed put carpark there it makes one feel a bit sad when you think of our childhood all the kids playing there and so much life now nothink going on ecept factories and carparks happy days hey. regards rose:):handshake:

Hi rosie, you should know my house very well really it was next to yours the other side of the entry:D your brother charlie and i where very good friends there was four of us who used to go around together, i used to stay over at your house when me and charlie went out for the night up town:cool: havent spoken to any of your family for about30 yrs:(

Back