• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Original Birmingham Tram Map/Network

cjohnson2939

Does anyone have any sources or information on the original Birmingham tram network, specifically the different 'lines' that ran?

I have these two below, which I combined to create this live map [link] (still in progress). It's really interesting to have context of the old network and to see how it translates to the modern layout of our city. I'd love to know how the Victorians managed to navigate the complicated central network, as this is overlooked by the London underground-style diagram below.

Any information, maps, diagrams, or suggestions of where I could find information on the Birmingham Tram network would be greatly appreciated.

Chris, 26.

Attachments

• 1024px-Birmingham-1930.png
    1024px-Birmingham-1930.png
    484.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2783.JPG
    IMG_2783.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hi Chris; Just trawling around the internet - I like to find obscure bus and tram photos - found the items above "en-route". And also these:-

These bus maps also show tram routes:-

1920s:-
1700258725687.png

1930s:-
1700258761205.png

1939:-
1700258663905.png

This one is from the Mike Ashworth collection - well worth a night (well many nights actually........) on Flickr:-
1700258858259.png

This one is hard to read but references the withdrawl of the West Brom area trams in 1939:-
1700258927014.png

But trams still feature on the transport department brochure cover of 1939:-
1700258981416.png

What you need is one of these - circa. 1950:-
1700259064432.png

Does anyone have any sources or information on the original Birmingham tram network, specifically the different 'lines' that ran?

I have these two below, which I combined to create this live map [link] (still in progress). It's really interesting to have context of the old network and to see how it translates to the modern layout of our city. I'd love to know how the Victorians managed to navigate the complicated central network, as this is overlooked by the London underground-style diagram below.

Any information, maps, diagrams, or suggestions of where I could find information on the Birmingham Tram network would be greatly appreciated.

Chris, 26.
Hi Chris,

You may know of these books, or even have copies, but just in case..................

Harvey [David] A nostalgic look at Birmingham trams 1933-1953:
vol 1: The northern routes
vol 2: The southern routes
vol 3: The eastern and western routes

Can be obtained on loan from Birmingham Public Libraries. Just brilliant books. Mainly phots with descriptions but also detailed route maps. Also brief earlier hist etc.

Mark, the first picture, of the tram in Corporation Street, is 1938 and not 1953. The tram is shown in the pre-war livery and so is the Midland Red bus.

Back