• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Operation War Diary National Archives Project

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Volunteers needed - looks a very interesting project. They need help classifying the wealth of info in WW1 war diaries. A quick tutorial is provided. Shall start working through this later today. Hope the link works. Viv.

https://www.operationwardiary.org/

I wish I had the time to plough through this, I would have loved to help.

Pity Wendy as it looks fascinating as well as helping to make better use of the info in the diaries. Having said all that, I registered this morning and have just tried to log in, but can't access it at the moment. Maybe there's been a rush of interest. I'm now chomping on the bit to get started! Oh well, will have to be patient. Viv.

That looks so interesting and it's something I would love to do, but I'm halfway through transcribing some parish records at the moment, maybe later......

Pity Wendy as it looks fascinating as well as helping to make better use of the info in the diaries. Having said all that, I registered this morning and have just tried to log in, but can't access it at the moment. Maybe there's been a rush of interest. I'm now chomping on the bit to get started! Oh well, will have to be patient. Viv.

great viv..this sounds right up your street...hope you can get stuck in soon...:encouragement:

lyn..

Thought I'd let you know how it's going. Well, took me a long time to get going after crashes, logging in problems, problems with zooming in and out, reading handwriting to name but a few. The site seems to regularly crash, but I'm going to persevere. There are some fascinating glimpses in the diaries. I spent half the afternoon following a veterinary unit collecting sick horses and returning them to battle. The other half of the afternoon I followed a unit blowing up bridges and then repairing others. Don't ask me why, have no idea. However, despite all the problems getting the site to work, it's well worthwhile getting involved if you feel you can. But you need lots of time and a lot of patience. I shall certainly stick with it as I'm well and truly hooked. Viv.

Vivienne14,
Carry on the good work, my father was in the first world war believe his trade was Horsekeeper in the 3rd Battalion Royal Worcester Regiment enlisted in 1903 for six years transferred to the Reserves; recalled for duty 1914 and discharged with ?sickness 1st October 1915, my memory keeps telling me that he was gassed but I have no proof of this.

Brookieboy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reporting on progress. Making some progress, but slowly. Still having problems with zooming in on feint writing or to decipher poor writing, but this is something many 'Citizen Historians' are struggling with. Let's face it though, it's no surprise that the writing isn't the best script given the conditions under which the diaries were written. But what a fascinating task this is. What's surprised me most from the diary pages is the amount of time spent doing routine things like parading, training and playing football (!) Much, much more than I'd imagined. There are some 1.5 million pages to tag, so I expect to be occupied for some time. The most satisfying thing for me is tagging named soldiers. You know that in the future some ancestor, somewhere will be pleased to find that info and will be so proud of that soldier. Viv.

I've now looked at and tagged over 60 WW1 diary pages (quite a modest number compared to some Citizen Historians). But it's been very enlightening. I expected to find pages littered with dreadful reports of deaths/killed in action/died of war wounds reports etc. But it's been quite the opposite. Despite the horrendous death rate we're all very sadly aware of, I found days and weeks of servicemen going about their daily, army lives. The diaries give an excellent record of an officer's view of the day, but more often than not life looked pretty tedious with frequent comments like 'routine work', 'as yesterday's', 'ditto' etc. I can see why morale could have been an issue for some.

Some activities worthy of special mention in the diaries were very surprising like bathing, both for humans and horses. One minute the soldier's day is a series of parades, marches and inspections, then it's all systems go moving to a new location, to who knows what? What's very rewarding is finding the same soldier's name frequently cropping up in the same diary, doing his job, day after day. And the diaries don't just mention higher ranks either, I've found and tagged lots of named Privates too. My one regret is that officers used pencil for recording in the diaries, and because of this some pages are difficult to decipher. There was probably no more sensible option to pencil, pen would smudge or run etc

There's been a lull on the Western Front over the weekend. We're waiting for the next supply of diaries to be uploaded. So I can only assume from that, that we're outstripping supply.

It's worth getting involved if you feel you have the time - and energy!. (Go to Operation War Diary - link in post #1)

Viv.

I too have had a go at deciphering some of these (not many pages yet) and found it fascinating to read of "ovens being built" - presumably for cooking. The same regiment also rebuilt accommodation blocks. The one page had no reference to war - just the French place names gave it away.

Janice

That's great Janice. Takes a fair bit of effort doesn't it, but I think it's very worthwhile. One diary page I did recently was dated 10 Nov 1918 and it seemed from the officer's entries that the war was nowhere near the end, everything was carrying on as it had done for the previous months. I've also tagged a few pages after the war and so very sad to see many, many horses being sent for 'butchering' - the officer's words, not mine. Even the winding down of operations must have been terribly confusing, traumatic and such a major organisational challenge. Keep up the good work Janice. Looking forward to the next upload by British Archives. Viv.

I too have had a go at deciphering some of these (not many pages yet) and found it fascinating to read of "ovens being built" - presumably for cooking. The same regiment also rebuilt accommodation blocks. The one page had no reference to war - just the French place names gave it away.

Janice

Also meant to say that I read somewhere that all army cooks were trained to build ovens, A very useful skill. Viv.

Vivienne14, Thank you so much for updating your thread, I missed it first time round. I have been trying to help a friend find the right place to deposit/use his Grandfathers personal war diary and this would appear to be the ideal place, as there is a section for family collections too. I have sent the link. Just wish I had the time to contribute..

So glad you've been able to find a place for the diary, Lindyloo. They can tell us so much. Don't know if National Archives have any plans to digitise family diary records, but if they do, what a wealth of detail we would get. I'd be very interested to see diaries about life on the home front too. Hope it all goes well. Viv.

For anyone interested in the sort of info coming out of the diaries, here are a few of my observations after following 3 Cavalry Division, Signal Squadron for 6 months, from formation in Wiltshire in Sept 1914, through their work around the area of Killebeke, Paschendale and Ypres into early 1915.

The Major is the diary author and he didn't start it off on the standard issue diary form (C2118) but he wrote it more as you'd expect a diary to be written, in continuous prose on a long sheet of paper, dropping in occasional comments of how life was for the soldiers. (Maybe the official blank diary pages hadn't been issued/printed at this early stage). The Major makes one or two emotional references, such as the 'very warm welcome' given to the soldiers on arrival in Ostende. Haven't previously seen this sort of comment in any other diary. But I suppose this was the beginning of the War with spirits very high etc.

Their work was to ensure communications were set up or repaired between units, HQs and Telephone Centres. All this seems to have been carried out, usually, under enemy fire or at night. And they have to keep setting up new lines and Centres each time troop positions change. There's frequent mention of the use of motor cycles or push bikes, very little use of horses. One reported incident was the Major's regret at having to leave behind one of their bicycles when they came under enemy fire. A vital piece of equipment which they recovered several days later. They were also engaged in instructing soldiers in the use of telephones, semaphore, morse and providing map reading training for mounted officers. I'd imagined this would normally have been done at home, so maybe this was a quick fix for those at the Front.

I was surprised to find the use of the word 'Casualties' in a different way to what we'd expect during the War. References to 'Casualties' includes those promoted, sick, off on leave as well as injuried, deaths etc. So the word seems to broadly mean loss to the Unit, one man less etc.

A couple of 'human' touches mentioned:
In Dec 1914 the King visited them and inspected the Division - must have been a big morale boost, but all window dressing of course
Christmas Day 1914, cards were received from the King and Queen and presented individually to each soldier at 10.30 am. Then gifts from the Princesses were presented individually to every soldier at 5.30 pm. So in 1914 those soldiers received a little Christmas cheer of sorts. But then it's business as usual on Boxing Day when they laid out new, enamelled telephone wire, then reeled it all back in again!

I've also looked at the diaries of 3 Division, Divisional Signal Company. Instead of the expected pencil (or sometimes pen) record, these diaries were typed. My guess is it was the officer's own typewriter perhaps.

One interesting incident involves the latest 15" Howitzer gun. There's enormous pride coming from the words in the diary about testing out the gun in the presence of several Generals in March 1915. They first 'practiced' shooting at Wytschaete Tower, near Ypres, and, although it didn't directly hit the target, the Major observes the enormous potential damage to trenches and men by the gun. They can see through 'glasses' that it can create a crater 6,000 yards wide. Sounds horrific. Their nickname for the gun was 'Granny' - don't know why!

It's sad, but amusing, to read this officer's diary entry amongst all the mayhem going on around him: "At 4.00 pm. I rode off and had tea with Sunny Gabb and saw some of the Regiment who were all very cheery".

On that 'cheery' note I'll end here. Could go on, and on, and on.... So much interesting info in the diaries. Now tagged over 150 pages, and well worth every moment spent doing it.

I'm going to try and focus on Midland Regiments next, but it depends of course, on what's been uploaded by NA. Viv.

Now tagged over 300 pages, identified 700 named soldiers and tagged over 1,000 places. So feeling like I'm making progress. I've looked at some of the Royal Warwickshire Regiments diaries. Below are a few little snippets for anyone interested.

For future ref. when these diaries are available to the public, if you're searching by name of soldier you may be able to find out what was happening to him as the names are directly linked to things like 'departed' (for various reasons such as new posting, leave etc),'returned' (such as from hospital or leave), 'casualty' (included wounded, killed in action) as well as promotions and commendations. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395840764.838546.jpg

Viv
Apparently the 15" howitzer was heavy and large , which made it difficult to move around. Maybe that was the source of "granny"

Thanks Mike and Colin. My guess is that perhaps this was early testing mentioned in the diary then as it's dated March 1915. If you're interested, here's a copy of the page. Nicely typed too - most pages aren't this legible! Good to know this was a Midlands development too - Coventry. And only one of 12.
Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395918442.577396.jpg

Just re-read the diary page and I like "I expect it will make the Germans a little nervous" ! Well initially probably, but I think the Germans later came up with a whopper of a gun, very long range, very long barrel, had to have a special platform to support it I think. So excitement over the 15" Howitzer must have been short lived. Viv.

Back