• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Onions

theshadow

Brummie babby
Hi All

Can anybody help i am researching my family tree and been given this photo of my 4x Great Grandmother Her Surname was Onions and that is all i know i think it is the Lady seated holding the Baby.

family names: Onions , Fisher , Parsons , Wicketts , Coley , Belk.

Theshadow:coolcheesy:

There was certainly an Alldays & Onions in 1899 but established in 1650. the Great Western Works produced forges, vices,steam powered equipment & toools& was situated between Sydenham Rd & the canal.

I have a friend Alex O'Nion ager about 75, lived in Witton 1940-60. was called Onions at school. George

I worked on the telephones in the late 50's early 60's with a Ronnie O'Nions who also lived in Witton, he was always called Ronnie Onions. He was a really nice bloke to work with.

Barry Bobby B whose on hoiday for a week knows lots of gents from Witton and he is round about 72 years of age. I will ask my brother who is 73 and comes from Holte road. Bye. Jean.

Hi Barrie my brother just phoned and he remembers him well. He bumped into him in Ray Hawkins fishing tackle shop about 15 years ago and new him well as a teenager. He lived in Yew Tree road didn't he. That's about all I could find out for you. Bye. Jean.

Thank you Jean. Yes I believe he did live in Yew Tree Rd, he lived with his mother, he was single when I knew him. He had used to go to the Castle pub up by the General Hospital, long gone now of course. Thank you again.

Barrie.

Hi Barrie. I do hope you mean the pub?. My brother has fond memories of him but as time goes on you drift apart. Albert said that he became a keen fisherman. Did he go to Handsworth Grammer school as a neighbour down the road has a load of photo's for me to put on the forum?. Mainly of their football teams. Jean.

Hi Jean, yes I did mean the pub. Me and Ronnie were in there one night, and John Prescott the boxer was in there, some fool pinched John's overcoat and went on a pub crawl in it, with John always one pub behind him. :D

I don't know what school Ronnie went to, I only knew him from work, we garaged our van in Witton Barracks, along with about a hundred other people, he was a nice bloke was Ronnie, everyone got along with him.

Barrie.

There was an Onions (he did not affect the apostrophe) at school with me at Handsworth Technical School - both at Goldshill Road and later at Craythorn Avenue.

A Maybury md a George Onions so the older lady might be his mother Phebe Louisa nee Morgan b abt 1838.

Back