• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Erdington Methodist Church Wesley Road

sfb

Does anyone have pictures of the Old Erdington Methodist Church? It was on the corner of Wesley Road and Station Road. I'm looking to build a model of the church so any other details such as height, width, etc... would be very helpful.

Big thanks!

Here is a photo as I remember it from Gary O'Brien's Goosemoor Lane site link: https://www.goosemoor-lane.com/masonchurch.htm
Information from British History Online site re Station Road Methodist Church:

Station Road, Erdington chapel was opened as a school-chapel by the Wesleyans in 1869. As extended in 1885 (fn. 13) it provided sittings for 400. (fn. 14) In 1902 a second chapel was opened, to replace the old one, (fn. 15) and the former building was converted for Sunday school use. The new chapel, built of brick, was designed by Messrs. E. and J. Harper in the 'early English Gothic' style. (fn. 16) It was altered in 1922 and extended in 1931, (fn. 17) and in 1940 provided sittings for 610 in the main hall. There were then eight other rooms, of which three were built as school halls. (fn. 18) The Sunday evening congregation in 1892 was 137, (fn. 19) and church membership in 1932 244. (fn. 20)

Ewan and James Harper were Architects and built several buildings in Birmingham. Ewan Harper designed the Methodist Central Hall on Corporation Street
You can look them up online and you may be able to find drawings for the church they designed on Station Road.

Last edited:
Plans are in the archives at the central library (Erdington Urban District Council records, plan no.508)

Attachments

• IMG_6524-3.JPG
    IMG_6524-3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
The photo is just how I remembered it from my childhood when we went ot Sunday school and when I married there in Sept 1961,2 of my sons were baptised there in 1963 and 1967 but when my sister married in June 1971 it was no longer there and at that time had not been replaced with the new one so she married in the one at the corner of Gravelly hill/Kingsbury road which has now been replaced by flats..

I'm reasonably confident that these are the 1869 & 1885 chapels mentioned above. Historical maps show remained in place with the 1902 chapel built in front of them - with all 3 buildings demolished in the 70's
(photo central library archives - then reproduced in "Images of England - Erdington" (vol 1) M Baxter + P Drake

I'm doing research on the history of Wesley road - there was a footpath along the top of the railway embankment, and I'm trying to find out how it was accessed. There is talk of a set of steps but I don't know if that is accurate / where they were.

Attachments

• first-two-chapels-small.jpg
    first-two-chapels-small.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Back