• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Barn, Wiggins Hill Road, Wishaw

Goayr Ben

Not quite a Brummie
In August 1938 the father of my uncle, Francis John Armstrong purchased this property which is mentioned in the Domesday book for £500

At the time this property consisted of two cottages joined together one of one room and one two down and two up

At the time of purchase the building was described as a “Tudor farmhouse messuage”,- otherwise buildings with land and in existence in 1510 or earlier

Francis combined them by knocking out a wall. He also installed water, power and sewerage

The property consisted of the cottage, a three quarter acre paddock, large vegetable garden, flower garden and large tithe barn – hence the name of the property “Old Barn”, where in earlier times the local peasants would pay their taxes in kind at harvest time.

Since Francis purchased the property it has had a preservation placed on it but has regrettably been extensively altered quite illegally

Any further information about this property would be welcome

Old barn back yard 1938.png

In August 1938 the father of my uncle, Francis John Armstrong purchased this property which is mentioned in the Domesday book for £500

At the time this property consisted of two cottages joined together one of one room and one two down and two up

At the time of purchase the building was described as a “Tudor farmhouse messuage”,- otherwise buildings with land and in existence in 1510 or earlier

Francis combined them by knocking out a wall. He also installed water, power and sewerage

The property consisted of the cottage, a three quarter acre paddock, large vegetable garden, flower garden and large tithe barn – hence the name of the property “Old Barn”, where in earlier times the local peasants would pay their taxes in kind at harvest time.

Since Francis purchased the property it has had a preservation placed on it but has regrettably been extensively altered quite illegally

Any further information about this property would be welcome

View attachment 193759
thanks mary hopefully some of our members will do a bit of research and see what they can come up with...firstly i will try and find it on todays st view...wiggins hill road looks quite long

lyn

There was a planning application for a two storey extension in 1977. Don't know if it was ever agreed, but the notice below gives some details.

And a few estate agent details which you may have already seen from the 1990s.

Source for all extracts ; British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240807_142302_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807_142302_Chrome.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240807_142443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807_142443_Chrome.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240807_141954_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807_141954_Chrome.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240807_141753_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807_141753_Chrome.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240807_141525_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807_141525_Chrome.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
The estate agent photos are of the correct building and the other picture is the entrance to it.
With regard to the planning permission I suspect that it wasn't granted as I think that it was around this time that the building wa illegally altered
What I would really like to do is go further back in time ie before the building came into my family
I do have a few photos of the inside of the building that were taken in the 1940s

The estate agent photos are of the correct building and the other picture is the entrance to it.
With regard to the planning permission I suspect that it wasn't granted as I think that it was around this time that the building wa illegally altered
What I would really like to do is go further back in time ie before the building came into my family
I do have a few photos of the inside of the building that were taken in the 1940s
thanks mary...hopefully we can find some info about it before 1938..would also love to see any photos of the inside when time permits as they would add to this thread

lyn

Thanks folks! More pictures coming up

Attachments

• Old barn a bedroom.png
    Old barn a bedroom.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • Old barn dining room.png
    Old barn dining room.png
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • Old barn lounge 2.png
    Old barn lounge 2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Old barn lounge or bedroom.png
    Old barn lounge or bedroom.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • Old Barn lounge.png
    Old Barn lounge.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
fantastic photos mary were they were taken when your uncle lived there ? what a great addition to this thread

mary email me the photos that are too large i will see if i can reduce them and post them for you

lyn

Hi! Lyn
Yes! the photos were taken by Francis.
I don't know who took this very grainy Graham, Francis and Derek Old Barn c1938.pngpicture. The young boy is my Uncle Graham aged about twelve. The two men are his father Francis and Derek the brother of Francis. Unfortunately I don't which is Francis and which is Derek

Francis was known as Frank. Although the photo isn't clear I think that the lady is Frank's wife Blanche nee Harrison-Evans

thanks mary it looks to me as though there is another lady to the left wearing a dark dress or top.. looks like blanch is talking to her unless its just me...hopefully this other photo will post...thanks to janice for her help

thumbnail - 2024-08-07T183032.671.jpg

Thank you Janice. Sorry that I can't identify the second woman. The photos which are very old were scanned from my aunt's photo album when I visited her in New Zealand several years ago

Don't have a date as this was only labelled "Victorian map". (approx 1805 - 1845). On later maps the cottage seems to be next to Wiggins Hall Farm although not labelled as Old Barn until quite late (1960s).
victorian map.JPG

yes viv i posted a st view of it on post 5 but if you look at this earlier st view we can just see a bit of the buidings behind

lyn

i know ive said this before but those inside photos mary posted must be rare...so lucky to have them..was just wondering if we can dig out any info on the old barn before marys uncle took it on in 1938 ie previous owners and if there is anything in the newspapers about its previous life

lyn

Just tried searching 1911 census but although Wiggins Hall Farm is listed all the other houses just give their address as Wiggins Hill so I can't - at the moment, identify Old Barn.

i know ive said this before but those inside photos mary posted must be rare...so lucky to have them..was just wondering if we can dig out any info on the old barn before marys uncle took it on in 1938 ie previous owners and if there is anything in the newspapers about its previous life

lyn
Tried newspapers and earliest reference to Old Barn is 1969 - don't think it was officially called Old barn ntil later.
Birmingham Daily Post - Monday 17 November 1969.JPG

Lyn, that's only the barn in your Google view, not the cottage(s) mentioned by Bill Dargue.

Hi!
When my Uncle purchased the property it consisted of two cottages a tythe barn and land . It was known as Old Barn at the time of purchase. I have a copy of the newspaper article but I'm not convinced about the previous name that is mentioned.

Back