• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old (19th Cent.) photographs of Summer Row

Peter Murray

I am looking for a photograph of my great grandfather's business circa 1900 at 24 Summer Row, Birmingham. There was a pub next door I have seen an old picture of.
Could anyone direct me to a possible source of archive material? I will travel to Bham if required to view.

did you see the photo on this forum pete?...also could you give us the name of your gt grandad and the nature of his business as it may help us to locate a photo

lyn

did you see the photo on this forum pete?...also could you give us the name of your gt grandad and the nature of his business as it may help us to locate a photo

lyn
I can't remember now where the pub photo was. My Gt grandfather was William Alexander Murray. He started the busniness of Murray's fried fish about 1890 I think. In 1922 it moved to Harborne under my grandfather Alexander Murray, then after WW2 my father Alex Murray took over until 1984. Altogether nearly 100 years it existedf as a business. I lived above the shop from 1948 - 1956 and so have all recent pics. But I am trying to chronicle history back to start if possible.

pete not the date you want but i have these 3 of summer row...the 3rd photo shows no 22 which i would assume used to be the wagon and horses..not sure how the numbering went but if someone could look up what number m l hardware was it may help
as i am wondering if no 22 could have been left of it...i also have a photo of saturday bridge on summer row dated 1901 taken when your gt grandad was around there which maybe of interest to you...there was also a bridge called friday bridge nearby

maybe someone could post us a map showing where no 24 was and how the numbering ran
Saturday-Bridge-on-Summer-Row.jpg
lyn

sr0.jpgimg430.jpg

Last edited:
Below are maps of the area in the 1880s and 1950s, showing position of no 24, which was next to the Wagon & Horses at no 22. It can be seen that, in the 1950s, 24 has been absorbed (presumably rebuilt) into the warehouse. In fact this happens between the 1912 and 1913 directories. In 1912 no 24 is William East, fried fish dealer, whereas in 1913 24,26,28 is Henry James Sayer, tinplate merchant.

map 1950s showing posiiton of 24 summer row.jpgmap 1880s showing 24 Summer row.jpg

With all the evidence collated I assume the "Radio exchange and Service at No 22" in Lyn's 2nd photo was the old wagon and Horses, the frontage looks ornate enough for an old pub. If this is correct then no 24 was the first window of the next building numbered 24 on Mikes map and in Lynn's photo. Please correct me if I am wrong.

With all the evidence collated I assume the "Radio exchange and Service at No 22" in Lyn's 2nd photo was the old wagon and Horses, the frontage looks ornate enough for an old pub. If this is correct then no 24 was the first window of the next building numbered 24 on Mikes map and in Lynn's photo. Please correct me if I am wrong.
i agree that no 22 in my 2nd photo used to be the wagon and horses janet..what i am not certain about is is no 24 to the left or right of no 22..maybe mike can confirm

lyn

T
The site of 24 must be around there, but the building of 1900 has long gone

Thank you very very much everyone for your lively interest! If the numbering on the map is original and correct, then 24 should be on the right of the arched entry. The picture has obviously not been reversed. I assume Kellys is a trade directory that I can access. I discovered today that my Gt grandad' s eldest daughter, widowed Emma Fowler who was manager of the shop, married Robert East before 1911, so it may still have been in the family up to the point when it became part of the tinplate merchant. Thank you one and all again for your expertise!!!!
If I re-find the "Wagon and Horses" picture I will post it up. (Copyright permitting).

Back