• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

O'Connor Family c1900 to 1945. Barton Street 1939, Lower Tower Street (Duddeston) 1945

Dani.I.82

Hello, I am trying to trace my family history in Birmingham. My grandad was called Patrick George O'Connor, I believe he was one of about 16 children. I have his parents as William P O'Connor and Gertrude D O'Connor ( maiden name was Shale). But I am drawing a blank after that on William's side. My grandad also used to sing a song about "Brummagem boys" that I have tried for years to trace with no luck? Any help would be greatly appreciated or anyone who knew of the O'Connor family ( I believe they were a very large family) in the Barton Street or Lower Tower Street areas anytime between 1900 and 1950? I have attached a pic of William my great grandfather.

Attachments

• 1723498404289.png
    1723498404289.png
    468.2 KB · Views: 1
hi are you trying to find out who your gt gt grandad was if so do you know when william was born and where...any added family info ie when born and who they married may help us to help you..also was patrick born in birmingham

lyn

Found a few things on Ancestry..........

A Gertude D. Shale was born in 1911 in Birmingham.
Gertrude married William P O'Connor in 1928 in N.Birmingham.
Gertrude D O'Connor died in 1965 .

Lived in Barton St in 1939
Willian P...snr b.1908
Gertrude D...b 1911
William jnr...b.1929
John .T... b. 1932
also 4 others living here ...looks like more children.
William P...Gertude D listed to vote at 3 back 88 Lower Tower St in 1945/1950
Gertrud D...William. P.....John T.....all living at 190 Wheeler St Handsworth in 1965

William appears to be the youngest son of a John O'Connor and a Rose Bate, marriage registered Jun 1890 Aston.

John was possibly the son of a Patrick O'Connor and an Elizabeth Hopkins b1867 Wolverhampton, registered as Connor. Probably needs a little more proof. Patrick was born Ireland, Elizabeth in Shropshire.

Rose Bate was possibly the daughter of a Henry Bate and a Phoebe Marks b1868 Tettenhall Wood.

There are birth registrations for 12 O'Connor/Shale children between 1929 & 1953.

The birth for William Patrick appears to have been reg. as Connor Sep qtr 1908 Bham. At some later date it seems that corrections were added and his birth was handwritten in the Sep qtr 1908 register as William P O'Connor and also as both William P Connor and William P O'Connor in the Jun qtr 1908 register (he was born in May).

Back