• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OC 527 1933 B.C.T. Morris Imperial 1933 M.C.C.W. collection or recovery

horsencart

master brummie
OC 527 1933 B.C.T. Morris Imperial 1933 M.C.C.W. collection or recovery from the Wyre Forrest in 1980

I must first apologise for the quality of the film as this was copied from super 8 film to VHS tapes the copying was done by a High Street company needless to say that I will not be using them again,
When you look at the film the first thing you will see is the bus more or less in a as found condition, it still has its chimney, the first day was spent in clearing anything from around the bus this included the chimney, so that we could the extract the bus, next was to pump the tyres up using the former Bass Charrington Matador, the roof was moved using a Caterpillar that was on the site the same Caterpillar was used to moved the bus for the first time in over thirty years, the bus did not want to move and did put up a struggle, but it did move this took most of the day in reasonable weather

Overnight and the next day it rained and turned the land into quagmire, but that did not stop us using a borrowed towing ambulance (a device used for suspended tows it had solid tyres) from Midland Red Digbeth, the next thing to see is the Caterpillar towing the Matador that is towing the bus the reason for this is that the land was a mire and that there was a very tight right hand bend, the Matador all right on a hard standing, but as there was a rather sleep incline we had to use the Caterpillar again,

What you do not see in the film was the one of the tyres on the towing ambulance developed a blister the wet weather and a short road side stop meant that the blister went down, the last you see is the bus in Longbridge Birmingham this was the bus returning to Birmingham after a long absence

Another time I did film when we collected the D7 bus the had been converted to a towing lorry from Mid Warwick Motors in Water Orton, the towing of this bus was relativity easy hitch the Matador (former Bass Charington) vehicle and the tow back to Wythall I may put that footage on YouTube

The film can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bN41IDAiaQ

Bammot, thanks for posting that link and those notes. A fascinating and historic video of the recovery of a very rare bus. And some lovely shots of the various recovery vehicles in action. A credit to the volunteers involved. But what a restoration challenge!

Bammot, thanks for posting that link and those notes. A fascinating and historic video of the recovery of a very rare bus. And some lovely shots of the various recovery vehicles in action. A credit to the volunteers involved. But what a restoration challenge!

There is about 60% of the bus left it, would be nice to see it restored but it would cost a great deal of money, it has to be said that there are other projects in need of restoration

Excellent, at least whst remains is safe for the future and , no doubt, will a huge amount of cash this structure is restorable. if not at least there is a Birmingham built chassis undeneath that lot!

I have recently developed quite an interest in pre war buses and the Black Country Museum has a B.M.M.O REDD in dire need of a long term restoration plan along with an Ex Wolverhampton 3 axle trolley bus. Pity there is no FEDD if I can find some way of time travel, Im going back to get one!!!

The next film I am about to start on may be of interest to you, when we (the real BaMMOT) collected the Midland Red SON DON AHA 582 I took a number of photos of the collection, sadly I did not film that day, so I hope that the photo will tell the story of the day, acording to my photos I took part in about ten collections, of buses I filmed three of those and took photos of them all, I did disgrace myself when we collected the D10 from Carlyle Rd the rest of the ladds met up at the rear of the Midland Red bus builder not me I made my way through the front offices I did get a bollocking for that, the day we collected the Leicester bus LCT 60 it was very dark/dull day every one else is wearing their best suits I feel certain that I was in my best welly gogs then there was the time we picked up a former Midland Red D7 that had been coverted to a towing lorry from Mid Warwick Motors, in Water Orton, that may be worth putting the footage onto YouTube

Excellent, at least whst remains is safe for the future and , no doubt, will a huge amount of cash this structure is restorable. if not at least there is a Birmingham built chassis undeneath that lot!

I have recently developed quite an interest in pre war buses and the Black Country Museum has a B.M.M.O REDD in dire need of a long term restoration plan along with an Ex Wolverhampton 3 axle trolley bus. Pity there is no FEDD if I can find some way of time travel, Im going back to get one!!!

Back