• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nutting Umbrella maker Digbeth

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
The current work going on to excavate behind the old Avery building at 138 Digbeth has highlighted the little building squeezed in between Avery’s and the old Makepeace building.
88D6CE36-4B38-4C7A-81B2-67FCFB9D336E.jpegD9620480-0EC7-4290-98F1-E1B3B2FFCE41.jpeg5CC97AA9-7D86-483A-9B64-10C2541828EB.jpeg

The little gem (#137 Digbeth) was once the Nutting umbrella manufactory building. It is described in the extract below from the Midlands Pubs site. Additionally, according to the Pevsner guide there is/was still inside the building an early19th century stick baluster staircase and 18th century doors with broad plain architraves.
Source: https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/digbeth/
14CE2B2F-42E7-4CF6-8859-76C4AD8C7452.jpeg

From Moseley-society.org.uk it seems the family also had the premises next door #136:
Charles Nutting “was a manufacturer of walking sticks, canes and umbrellas in Digbeth,i a business established in 1814. Charles, a carpenter, married Phoebe Dodson, an umbrella maker, on 29th October 1837. They had four children. William, their only son, married Ellen Tabberner in 1866 and set up home in Belgrave Street (now part of Belgrave Road), Balsall Heath. By 1871, William had taken over his father’s business, moving premises from No 135 to 137 Digbeth in 1875. Charles began a new venture next door at No 136, the manufacture of fishing tackle

Viv

Last edited:
Hello there i have brought a william nutting umberella today the elderly lady i brought it from said it belonged to her father who worked on trains in the sudan , dealing with engines etc as it was terrifically hot there , she presumed he used it to ward away the sun , its stamped wm nutting birmingham she had never noticed the marking we even opened it up its in good condition for its age apart from 2 holes in the material , and a chip out of the handle , she presumed it had been sent on to him from family members

Attachments

• IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1066.jpeg
    IMG_1066.jpeg
    748.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
how wonderful...a great piece of birmingham history and it does look in good condition and i wonder if that is silver below the handle

lyn

Hello there i have brought a william nutting umberella today the elderly lady i brought it from said it belonged to her father who worked on trains in the sudan , dealing with engines etc as it was terrifically hot there , she presumed he used it to ward away the sun , its stamped wm nutting birmingham she had never noticed the marking we even opened it up its in good condition for its age apart from 2 holes in the material , and a chip out of the handle , she presumed it had been sent on to him from family members
Thank you and welcome to the Forum Lolamarnie, a really interesting place with great folks, enjoy!

Back