• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nursery Road Lozells

Maryd

Exiled Brummie
My aunt and uncle, Elsie and Bill Arkinstall, used to live at 4/129 Nursery Road in the '40's and '50's -I guess that means 4 back of 129?

Uncle Bill was born in Villa Street and married the girl who lived opposite, my Mom's eldest sister. My Mom's youngest sister, Queenie, is still alive, but she is over 80 and although she has dabbled with computers, it seems she has given up now. It's such a shame, because I have told her about this site, and she would be so interested I'm sure, but she seems adamant - and as she is in Weymouth and I am in Ireland.....Pity - it would be so much better for her than daytime T.V. Queenie Smith lived at 132 Villa Street from 1929 to 1952. It would be great if I could tell her I've found someone who remembers her - might ignite her interest... any takers?

Maryd

Hi Mark, there is another thread for 'Nursery Road lozells' if youtype it into the search box top right hand corner.
Post 15 image 6 appears to be the same shop, I am unable to help with location as I am currently having to use an iPad and cannot access my usual data. I'm sure another member will be able to help though.

mark i grew up 2 mins from there in villa st but this one is taken looking up church st...i have many photos of nursery road taken before the demo of nursery road but not that one if you find anymore or any of villa st i would love to see them cheers..ps church st is still there

lyn

One of my work mates bought a house (a fixer upper) around there, maybe in Nursery Road between that corner and Villa Street, it would have been latish in the 50s, he and his wife had their first child there, The McMahons and daughter Angelique

eric this one show the houses from villa st to church st...dated 1956 note the lady on the step with babe in arms maybe it was your friends wife or maybe 56 was a tad too early

lyn

Nursery Road - No 58 - 18-4-1956 - Lozells.jpg

A bit of a crime pulling down all those houses I think, many of them, probably most of them, could have been brought up to standard instead of dumping all the community elsewhere.

Hi Mark, there is another thread for 'Nursery Road lozells' if youtype it into the search box top right hand corner.
Post 15 image 6 appears to be the same shop, I am unable to help with location as I am currently having to use an iPad and cannot access my usual data. I'm sure another member will be able to help though.
Found this photo of Nursrey Road taken in late 1970's - can anyone work out exactly which street corner this is please?
View attachment 159447
HELLO , THE BUILDING SHOWN WAS ON THE CORNER OF NURSERY ROAD AND CHURCH STREET. IN THE LATE 40S IT WAS OCCUPIED BY ALBERT SMITH , WHO COULD BE DESCRIBED AS A SECOND HAND TRADER, OR AS WE KNEW IT A JUNK SHOP.
ON THE OPPOSITE CORNER WAS BADNADGE HARDWARE, THE OWNERS SON WAS ROY.
WE LIVED AT NUMBER 48 OPPOSITE GEORGE WRIGHT ARTIFICIAL LIMB MANUFACTURING, WE OCCUPIED THE HOUSE FROM PRE 2ND WAR INTO THE LATE 1960S.

MIKE GLOVER

hi mike i well remember the junk shop...did you live in one of the houses past the salvation army heading towards church st....also have you seen my post 8 as it must show your old house..pretty sure our paths must have crossed as i lived at 118 villa st from 58 to 72

lyn

Last edited:
Indeed Lyn, in which case the neighbour at No. 52 is standing on the step.

Attachments

• nursery-rd-no48.jpg
    nursery-rd-no48.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 18
thought so john maybe dave recognises the lady on the step of no 52 holding a baby...the photo is dated 1956...

lyn

Last edited:
hi mike i well remember the junk shop...did you live in one of the houses past the salvation army heading towards church st....also have you seen my post 8 as it must show your old house..pretty sure our paths must have crossed as i lived at 118 villa st from 58 to 72

lyn
Hello Lyn,

We lived at 48 NURSERY road, it was two doors before the salvation army from church street.right opposite George Wright. The photograph shows the daughter of mr and mrs Rollason, going towards the salvation army was mr and mrs beech, then my Aunt Betty and Frank Mercer, then us the Glovers , and finally before THE Sally anne was the Hoopers.

Marlnmike

thanks for that info mike... we also had a mr and mrs beech in villa st....mr beech was the chimney sweep

lyn

Back