• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nuffield Factory (Castle Bromwich) - Royal Visit

jim kinney

My Mom(Joan Whitby) worked at the Spitfire factory during WWII.She started at 16 and was in a photo taken during King George and Princess Elizibeth's visit.It was in a newsletter/magazine named "Wings".I'd like to fing a copy of the picture for her.Joan's turning 90 this year and I'd like to find it for her.Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks,Jim Kinney

Re: Lord Nuffield's Factory (Castle Bromwich)

Welcome to the Forum, Jim. I hope that one of our members will be able to help you.

You have probably found already the various references to the Spitfire factory in this Forum (use the Forum search function if not) and have done some determined googling on this subject (there is of course a lot on information online - just one example: https://spitfiresite.com/2012/07/castle-bromwich-spitfire-and-lancaster-factory-photos.html has some excellent images of this incredible factory). Some WW2 aviation collector/enthusiast somewhere will have copies of that magazine. So, if this approach to people with a lot of knowledge of Birmingham doesn't give you what you want, try approaching it from the other angle, the aviation/WW2 one. One forum you could try posting in is: https://www.ww2talk.com/forum/war-air/ . There will no doubt be others.

Good luck.

Chris

Hope you will get something out of the Forum, Jim, so happy feeling around!

If you/your mother are ever in the position to tell us more about her experiences as a young employee at Castle Bromwich, I'm sure a number of members would find it of great interest.

Chris

My Mom(Joan Whitby) worked at the Spitfire factory during WWII.She started at 16 and was in a photo taken during King George and Princess Elizibeth's visit.It was in a newsletter/magazine named "Wings".I'd like to fing a copy of the picture for her.Joan's turning 90 this year and I'd like to find it for her.Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks,Jim Kinney

Dear Jim,

I work for Birmingham Museums and we are currently working on an exhibition about the Spitfire and it's production at Castle Bromwich. Unfortunately I can't help with the photo you are looking for but was wondering if your mom might be interested in telling her story to us? We are looking to record interviews with people who worked at the factory and even put photos or objects relating to their time there on display. If you are interested please do get in touch.
Kind Regards,

Lynsey Rutter (nee Fairweather)
Participation Coordinator, Birmingham Museums Trust

T: NEW 0121 3488271
E: Lynsey.Rutter@birminghammuseums.org.uk
T: @LynseyFair
B: https://blog.thinktank.ac
www.birminghammuseums.org.uk
www.thinktank.ac

Back