• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

newspaper lookup-Walsall Observer

sarunte43

master brummie
Just wondering if anyone has access to archives of the Walsall Observer?
Specifically, I am looking for an item from the April 6, 1918 edition: Isaac Charles, died of wounds March 25, 1918....
There should be a photo and a short report. (He was buried in France, Longuenesse, St. Omer.)

Any information is appreciated

Thank you

SR

Thanks, Alan
For some reason The Great War Forum doesn't like my Email address and won't allow me to register with them??

Hi

I researched 17386 Private Isaac Charles for my book on the lads of Pelsall Village who went to war between 1914 and 1918. Although he wasn't born in the village, he did live in Pelsall High Street for some time and his name is thus commemorated on the 'new' memorial tablets that were unveiled at the foot of the Pelsall Cenotaph in August 2006. His name also appears on the Walsall Wood War Memorial (of which I have a photo).

I visited his grave near St. Omer on 26th October 2002 and have a decent photo. I also have access to the 'Walsall Observer' microfilm archive at Pelsall History Centre.

If you let me have your e-mail address I will gladly send you what I have found.

Ken

Re: newspaper lookup-Walsall Observer-Isaac Charles

Hi, from Canada

I would love to have any thing about Isaac Charles. I'm not sure if you want to hear what I know about him but here goes...

He was my grandmother Enzie's older brother. My aunt used to tell about what happened to him. Apparently she had a terrible dream one night during WWI where she saw a shell blast. The story goes that when they received the telegram advising of his death the time of the shell blast and the time of the nightmare coincided perfectly.

I do have a very old and faded copy of his picture from March 1918, so it will be fabulous to have another picture.

Thank you very much!

SR

Hiya Sarunte:)
I am at Dudley archives on the first Sat in July ..will have a look if they have it there:)

Back