• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Road, Small Heath

FauxFaux

proper brummie kid
Can someone please help me locate where 'New Road' as given on the 1861 census somewhere near Whitmore Lane in Small Heath would have been? I'd love to know where my family were at the time but can't find anything online.

hi could you post the census please or give us names of your family and year of birth...have to say i can only find a whitmore road and no new road...of course they may have disappeared now

lyn

A couple of problems - there's a lack of maps around that time, nothing decent until 1890ish and New Road may have been that at the time, just laid out and then renamed.

One clue may be that another address that seems to be on the same page as New Road is Regent's Park and there is a Regent's Park Road in Small Heath.

If you have access to the scans you could just flick next and previous to see if there are any other roads that are recognisable.

Thanks - yes, I've flicked through and I understand the vague area where it was but I was hoping someone might have some ideas about what it might have been renamed. That's a shame about the maps - I know other lines I've researched have been a bit luckier with having bits written up in places like British History Online with lots of detail about how the roads were developed.

On reflection, they turn up in 1881 in Millward Street (they were away for 1871 visiting relatives) so given that Millward is 'at the end' of Whitmore it could well be that they were in the same house but that the road had been given a name by that point.

Thanks for your help :)

Back