• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New house 1954

nimrod1947

master brummie
This is me in our new house. We moved from 11 back of 387 Heath Street as part of the slum clearance in 1954. The move was mainly on the back of a lorry which belonged to the rag merchant in Heath Street. Posh we were! The property was a flat at number 1 Gorsymead Grove Northfield. It was ever so posh, it had electric lights and things. Unfortunately building standards weren't so great in those days and flicking a switch in the lounge would turn a light on in the kitchen. Later corrected of course. As you can see we had a state of the art television, so Roy Rogers was on the menu, happy days. Sadly the glass I am holding has pop in it not wine. I gained a taste for that later on in life along with other alcoholic pick me ups.
The other bonus is that I am now out of short trousers, took a long time but finally an adult. I didn't say I was grown up still working on that. Hope the picture brings back memories for other people it does for me.IMG_0311 2.JPG

This is me in our new house. We moved from 11 back of 387 Heath Street as part of the slum clearance in 1954. The move was mainly on the back of a lorry which belonged to the rag merchant in Heath Street. Posh we were! The property was a flat at number 1 Gorsymead Grove Northfield. It was ever so posh, it had electric lights and things. Unfortunately building standards weren't so great in those days and flicking a switch in the lounge would turn a light on in the kitchen. Later corrected of course. As you can see we had a state of the art television, so Roy Rogers was on the menu, happy days. Sadly the glass I am holding has pop in it not wine. I gained a taste for that later on in life along with other alcoholic pick me ups.
The other bonus is that I am now out of short trousers, took a long time but finally an adult. I didn't say I was grown up still working on that. Hope the picture brings back memories for other people it does for me.View attachment 177924
Great picture thankyou for sharing your memories of your house move

The other bonus is that I am now out of short trousers, took a long time but finally an adult. I didn't say I was grown up still working on that. Hope the picture brings back memories for other people it does for me.View attachment 177924
what a lovely photo takes me back our living room in the 60s...

lyn

Back