• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Neal Family

BIZZIELIZZIE

proper brummie kid
Hello Everyone,
I am trying to find my father's family. His parents were Frederick Neal; born 1892/3 and Martha Carpenter nee Daniels born 1885. I did not know until last year that they came from Birmingham as I believe they left the area around 1925/6 maybe because Martha was still married. After finding my fathers' half sister last year, she thought that Frederick may have been a milkman!. After eliminating several Fredericks born around this time I have now come across a Neal family from the Birmingham electoral roll and worked backwards. Joseph Henry (or Henry Joseph) and Mary Ann Neal, their children being, Rose, Florence, Henry, Marian Lily, Ernest and Frederick. Marian Lily married Charles Howell and the last address I have for them is when Mary Ann died in 1935 at 113 Avondale Road. It is such a long time ago now but if anyone has even the smallest piece of information I would be really grateful.
Thankyou
Liz

Hello & intrigued

Hello & Welcome Bizzie Lizzie :)

Could you clarify a couple of points in your question please,
I have a "Howell" B,ham family (wifes side) & will assist your search,
Avondale Road (Area/Postal?) Ages of the children named (approx)
or approx birth years,, Have you a 1901 RG ref for Frederick/Martha
Was the marriage Frederick Neal to Martha Carpenter or was she using
Daniels surname ? do you have their marriage certificate?
Post a little more & as specific as you can,,Folks on here will
soon be knocking your Brick walls over ;) Cheers John Y

Sparkhill, but what years?

Hi Sylvia & assist to Bizzie Liz :)

Yes i agree Avondale Rd B11, Sparkhill, was just trying to ask Bizzie Liz
if Certificated as years denote changes of boundaries in searches,
Sparkhill used to be under Worcestershire & in Solihull until boundary
& electoral/parish changed over the years.

Ok Lizzie lets get Bizzie,,, Cheers John Y :D

Last edited:
Hello John & Sylvia,
You may have guessed this was my first post and I didn't expect a reply so quickly (wonderful) especially two!
I have the two 1901 census references, the Neal family RG13.2810 living at 12 Ernest Road, Balsall Heath and the Howell family RG13/2860 living in Aston. Frederick Neal and Martha Carpenter never married, the last address in Birmingham I have for Martha is 83 Ickneild Square and 113 Avondale Road, Acocks Green, Sparkhill for Frederick. Fredericks' name appears at this address until 1920 when he is living with his sister Marian Lily who married Charles Howell in 1913. In 1930 Mary Ann Neal (mother) is living with them and another daughter Florence Emily Neal. The children I have for Joseph & Mary Neal are Rose 1878, Florence Emily 1879, Emily A 1881 (I think she died) Henry 1883, Marian Lily 1887, Ernest 1890 (again died) Annie 1894 and Frederick 1892. To shorten a long story, Martha and Frederick moved from the area and my father was born in 1928 (I believe Martha lied on my fathers birth certificate as she states her name as Neal nee Daniels, but she was still married to George Carpenter and on her death certificate is the wife of George) in 1935 Frederick was killed in an accident and as Martha had left the family my father was placed in a childrens home and later fostered. This is the reason I only have an approximate birth year for Frederick as he was 42 when he died as stated on his death certificate, but I have no other information.
Hope the above may help
Thankyou
Liz

Hi BIZZIELIZZY

Just a thought, but you don't happen to have a Rhoda Alice NEAL in your records do you. She was unmarried and was born around 1880's1890's.
Lived in Birmingham and was a cook.

Hi badger,

Sorry I have not come across an Alice Neal, I'm not even sure yet that the Neal family I am trying to trace are the right ones, but if an Alice pops up somewherre I will let you know.

while on the neal family

probably a long shot for me

anybody connect with

anne i neal b 1839 stratford on avon

married a william pretty

resided in birmingham till her death i believe

regards
worcester

There is a Martha Daniel born Sept 1884 Kidderminster

George Carpenter and Martha Daniel both on BMD married 1904 Kidderminster ref. 6c 376

Hello Alberta,
Thankyou for your information, I have actually got the information on Martha & George, probably I should say which information I have got and which bits I am specifically looking for, but thanks anyway

Liz

.... Rhoda Alice NEAL ... She was unmarried and was born around 1880's1890's.
Lived in Birmingham and was a cook.
Hello Badger. :)
I've sent you a private message.
Actually, Rhoda Alice was born in 1869. :)

Our ancestors also include Neal(e)s.
They came to Birmingham (& Welshpool) from Ashton Under Hill.
If anyone thinks that they are connected, please get in touch :)

Back