• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Shell Factory Washwood Heath 1917

MarilynMcI

Can anyone help me please? I know that my grandparents met while working in Birmingham at a munitions(?) factory and I am trying to find out what sort of work they did. My grandfather's name was Edward Preston King and my grandmother's maiden name was Dorothy May Searle. All I know is that they met there, but I also have a clock with a plaque on it. This says
'Presented to Mr E. king by the employees of the Govt Bond Room National Shell Factory Washwwod Heath April 1917'.
I had always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that this was munitions work but my grandfather had very poor eyesight which was why he was turned down to fight, so I doubt he did anything requiring good eyesight!
Many thanks to anyone able to help.

MarilynMcI, Welcome to the forum, the National Shell Factory Washwwod Heath was a munition factory during WW1
This link to Alan Tuckers site https://www.alantuckersfirstworldwarpages.co.uk/birmingham-great-war-timeline shows it opened in February 1916 (Alan was a member of the forum , un-fortunately he passed away last year).
The Govt. Bond Room would suggest he worked in an office at the factory dealing with Government Bonds
I cannot find exact location for the factory on a map but I'm sure Mike will be able to.

Colin

Was the National Shell Factory the Wolseley Motor works turned over to munitions? I'm interested because my nan worked there in WW1. If so I have a newspaper photo of the staff. Will post if relevant. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wish I knew! If I find out it was I would certainly be grateful to see your photograph. I wonder if anyone has done any research on women's war work in Birmingham during the 1WW, since I know my gran always said she worked in munitions, but the more I look into it the more the term 'munitions' seems to cover.... Do you happen to know any booklets or articles on the subject by any chance please?

Referring to Colin's post #2, I think that the reference to a Government Bond Room is more likely to mean an area of the factory where products were held in quarantine, either awaiting inspection by outside, official bodies or perhaps awaiting the outcome of some dispute over quality. Or where Government property was held, such as free-issue materials or components.

Chris

. NSF Birmingham - Washwood Heath - Midland Works

Original function: Midland Railway Company Ltd Wagon Works.
Opened: January 1916.
Management: Birmingham Munitions Committee.
Munitions: 4.5in and 18-pdr. shells and cartridge cases.

I think that is more likely to be what became Metropolitan Cammell?

Wikipedia seems to imply that the works became the old Wolseley works, but Colin's reference is more specific implying the old Carriage works.

Last edited:
Hi Ken R

You're right - The Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon works ultimately became
Metro-Cammell Midland works ( distinguishing it from the Metro-Cammell Saltley works

Kind regards

Dave

Back