• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Favourite Teacher

• Thread starter Thread starter Beryl M
  • Start date Start date
B

Beryl M

My Favourite Teacher

I attended St Mary’s C of E school in Handsworth – I believe this kind of school was a place where every parent would want their child to be, an extension of my home life St Mary’s had a truly caring staff Mr. George (William the Conk) taught me values and ethics to try hard to do my best in school and in all aspect of life. He was an all around great teacher. .

A World War 1 soldier he was in one of those first British tanks to roll over no man’s land in 1916 I believe they captured one of the German trenches.. .

At the stroke of nine a small man wearing a grey pin striped suit gray curly hair high cheek colour, breezed into the classroom – Dutifully we all stand ‘Good morning Sir’ response ‘Good morning, please be seated’ . . .

First order of the day would be prayer usually ‘God be in my head and in my understanding’ but on Fridays half an hour would be spent on catechism and the memorizing of a psalm. Wednesdays during Lent we walked up to the church for a children’s service where sometimes I would be privileged read the lesson. . .

Mental arithmetic followed to sharpen us up . . . Yes; I always raised my hand even when I wasn’t sure of the answer, hopefully Mr. George would take into consideration I was with bothering about.

History was never boring with Mr. George, a bit of an actor, it was fun and lively and his portrayal of one of the most despised men in British history ‘Oliver Cromwell’ has forever left its mark . . .

English and history were the subjects I enjoyed the most – English class Mr. George prefaced with the phrase ‘Read, Mark Learn and Inwardly Digest’ Thomas Hardy.

Literature was fun and interesting, From William Blake’s ‘Little Lamb who made thee ‘to nature poets Wordsworth and Coleridge, we were each given a different poem to memorize for the following week. It was expected that every one of us would learn their poem for we were picked at random to recite it. His desire was for us to become good at presenting effects that go beyond language. His enthusiasm never waned with the desire for us to become good at presenting effects that go beyond language. In other words, he wanted us to become more poetic.

Hence, I owe Mr. George a debt of gratitude for making us children commit to memory those long psalms and poems for the beauty of words has remained with me all of my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Norma - Its amazing what we can remember when committed to memory. It's like we have a little file at the back of the brain where we can just pick out at will. . . . Simply marvellous. . .

Back