• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Municipal housing and flats

And it gives the forum as a references with link to the St Martins flats thread. In fact I might guess that a lot of the other info came from the forum.

Came across this "municipal dreams" web site this afternoon see #1 above. Contains a lot of local Birmingham pictures including pictures accredited to Phyliss Nicklin and from Birmingham Mail. Lots of interesting information about Birmingham Municipal estates. Worth a browse!

These flats were built to address demand for municipal housing, but where were/are they? They seem to have been named ‘The Mansions’, but I don’t remember ever seeing these before. Are they still around ? Viv.

CC454789-0ED5-44B2-8292-ECB4392AFC82.jpegCD86AC10-83EC-4C9E-B783-5430B556D8B3.jpeg

Yes, not familiar to me either Lyn. Couldn’t even make a guess. Supposed to be some of the earliest council housing built in Birmingham in the 1920s. There were 180 flats which were still standing in the 1990s. Viv.

They are the holmes in garrison lane at the back of the blues ground... south holme etc...

jim i thought about those but they looked different to me...maybe that shot is not of the parts of the building i have seen...dont go that way very often..thanks jim

The post below may be of interest

Looking at Oldmohawk’s linked thread the housing seems to have been well thought through. The buildings and exterior space look to have been designed with the residents in mind. The flats surround a recreational area and are enclosed only on three sides. Interesting for a 1920s development. Must have been experimental (and maybe more expensive ?), so expect not many were built. Viv.

Back