• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Road

Paul D

master brummie
Hi, Would someone please look up Moseley Road for me to see if there is a Mr K Miles listed. I would like to know if he lived there in 51 too. Thanks.

Do you mean was there a K Miles in 1951 in moseley road or do you mean was there a K Miles at no 51 in moseley road. Neither are shown in the online electroal rolls, though they do not cover every year

Sorry, what I meant was, is there a Mr K. Miles listed as living in Moseley Road in 1950 or 1951? Thanks.

One last look up Mike please. In the 1950 edition of Kellys does it have a K Miles living at 29 Queenswood Road, Moseley? Thanks.

Moseley Road looking towards the swimming baths/library on the left. To the left is Edwards Road.

A few recognisable landmarks still there including the print works building in the distance on the right (striped brickwork). The church on the right has gone as have some of the shops. Viv.
image.jpeg

Viv

Those two photo's were taken quite a distance apart, the older one of the two was taken from between Brighton Rd and Runcorn Rd just short of the Congregational Church that stood there until t burnt down in the 50's. The newer one of the two was taken just past Clifton Rd outside where the Imperial Cinema once stood. Viv the snip from Google that I am attaching is more representative of the spot, and the only reason I know Viv is because the area was my back yard for a good portion of my life.

Attachments

• moseley rd.JPG
    moseley rd.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 15
Hi viv
Nice pictures of the yester years and what a transformation of the road from them days
Through up and till now ,I do travel from time to time along that road from time to time
I recall going to the swimming baths but also going down mosely road and through the back streets
Going to cannon hill park during the fifty,s then during the seventy and eighty period of years
I used to reposess house around that area and worked from various estate agents
Right in the Heart of Moseley village I used to court a young lady
Whom lived in terrace right by the number eight bus stop on Balgrave road then they moved to Gladstone road
Aston off church lane where upon she died sadly
As I said in those days mosely road was classed as balsall heath then years later it was a boundary change to call KT Moseley, and guess what the council now want to change it back to balsall Heath Again
What a crazy council we have in brum ,best wishes Alan,, Astonian,

Astonian

I don't think any part of Moseley Rd has ever been classed as Moseley. It starts at Bradford St which was known as Balsall Heath before it became Highgate and it runs through Balsall Heath to Trafalgar Rd just before the boundary of Moseley where it becomes Alcester Road on its way through Moseley & Kings Heath where it becomes Alcester Road South.

In the fiftys on mosely road just passing belgrave road junction traffic lights
Coming from the city heading towards mosely village and shortly passing the mosely road
Picture house which was on mosely road approximently 200 yards from the picture house
Hanging high for all to see in the mid fifths was the sign Balsall heath also it hung on the begging
Of the pershore road stating balsall heath it was just before the city change there boundaries
To new boundaries then it was classed as mosely all the way to the village hence Moseley village
And now they have decided to reverttheboundries back to balsall heath shortly
Or they have recently decided but today people of mosely are objecting they call it back as Balsall heath
Astonian, Alan,,,,

Moseley School of art was across from the baths now a mosque or some such. The church that was next to the school was bombed out during WW2 I was a student at the school last two years of WW2 we joked that gerry should have bombed the school not church

Alan

I can't ever remember the boundary between Moseley & Balsall Heath on the Moseley Rd moving more than a couple of yards and that was probably only due to the actual sign by Trafalgar Road being moved. These three maps show the boundaries of Balsall Heath from before the last war. Map one shows the boundary line in red, map 2 shows it in blue and map 3 in red again., On none of the maps does the boundary line on Moseley road extend past Trafalgar Road and therefore include Alcester Rd.

Attachments

• map Balsall Heath 1.jpg
    map Balsall Heath 1.jpg
    925.2 KB · Views: 25
  • map balsall heath 2.JPG
    map balsall heath 2.JPG
    576.9 KB · Views: 22
  • map  Balsall Heath (3).jpg
    map Balsall Heath (3).jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 21
Although the first map does show Balsall Heath, the other two show Birmingham 12 which is not really the same thing. I'm not sure when they started with the numbered rather than named areas (1920s/30s) but, somehow, I doubt they exactly matched the named districts. As far as I can tell Balsall Heath never went much beyond the Belgrave Road but B12 goes all the way to Digbeth.

If you look at the map you will see that all three are marked Balsall Heath, yes the northern border of Balsall Heath has changed over the years if you look at my earlier post you will see that I stated as much. The point being made here concerns the southern end of Moseley Road and it's boundary with Moseley & Balsall Heath. It is easily discernible that it hasn't moved much since the first pre-war map was made.

True, all 3 have Balsall Heath printed on the map somewhere but the later 2 have a border in style and colour that matches the number 12 printed large and within the area. That's why I say that the bordered area relates to Birmingham 12 rather than Balsall Heath.

True, all 3 have Balsall Heath printed on the map somewhere but the later 2 have a border in style and colour that matches the number 12 printed large and within the area. That's why I say that the bordered area relates to Birmingham 12 rather than Balsall Heath.

All of Balsall Heath has been included in Birmingham 12 ever since I was born in 1947, in that time I have never known the boundary between Moseley & Balsall Heath on the Moseley Road change. I posted these maps to demonstrate that fact. It matters not a jot about the rest of the map and where the boundary is, this question just concerns the boundary between Moseley and Balsall Heath on the Moseley Road or are you disputing the boundary is where the maps place it? If so I would like very much to see your evidence as it would be new to me.

Moseley School of art was across from the baths now a mosque or some such. The church that was next to the school was bombed out during WW2 I was a student at the school last two years of WW2 we joked that gerry should have bombed the school not church
I was at the Art School 1952-55,church is still there and school is owned by Indians, who let me have a free wander round a few months ago, strange to see the classrooms after all this time.

The church that is there now is a newer one. The old church burnt down, in I think 1945 towards the end of WW2 I was there I saw it in ruins one day when I went to school. The school play yard was across the street.

Old Brit do you mean the Wesleyan Methodist Church next to the Art school on the other side of Lime Grove that was replaced by the building in the second photo and is now something to do with the Muslim community?

Attachments

• WESLEYAN Chapel Moseley Rd 1885.jpg
    WESLEYAN Chapel Moseley Rd 1885.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 16
  • moseley rd 1.JPG
    moseley rd 1.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 15
Old Brit do you mean the Wesleyan Methodist Church next to the Art school on the other side of Lime Grove that was replaced by the building in the second photo and is now something to do with the Muslim community?
I am not sure this was a long time ago But I do remember towards the end of the war going to school on the bus one day and seeing that the church. that WAS next to the school was in ruins. Someone also said that a man died in the church when it was hit.Last year on a visit we drove past the school which now loos like a muslin building and the church there now is now the same of the one that was there

B12 includes Balsall Heath not that B12 is Balsall Heath. The district names were related to Church parishes long before the Post Office came along and drew lines on maps.

B12 is Balsall Heath & Highgate although B12 8** and B12 9** roughly correspond to the Balsall Heath Council District of the late 50s/early 60s. I know the council district is older than that but they sliced off the bit between Balsall Heath Rd and Belgrave Rd in the 50s and abolished the district in the 60s and that's the version that matches those postcodes closest. The churches of St. Paul's and St. Barnabas' usually supply the names for the parishes within Balsall Heath which implies it wouldn't have been well defined on the parish map. The name seems to go back further than those particular parishes as it is usually said to have derived from the Saxon. I doubt that boundaries would be well defined for most of the time although there does seem to be a consensus that the river Rea formed part of the boundary.

Can I just state again that this thread concerns Moseley Road and not Balsall Heath in general, as we have other threads on Balsall Heath can further posts on that topic be posted on one of those.

The Birmingham Coat of Arms over the women’s entrance to the Moseley road baths

Attachments

• 7509795A-7078-4092-AD50-8E2815A454C8.jpeg
    7509795A-7078-4092-AD50-8E2815A454C8.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 3
Back