• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Rd school for partially sighted

• Thread starter Thread starter baz259
  • Start date Start date
B

baz259

Hi brummies, is there anybody or some one who knows of someone who went to the Moseley Rd school for the partially sighted. I was there in the 40’s and early 50’s. I know Pomgolian mentions the 'The George Auden School for partially sighted, I don’t know if that is the same one. It was on the same campus as the school for deaf and dumb children. Thing where not so PC then so you weren’t visually impaired. Hope to hear from you.
Barry Blockley (baz)

Hi Barry

Are you Eric's Brother, and did you have the factory in Balsall Heath Rd.

Phil

Spot on phil, I live in spain now, for the last 13 years. I knew a few Phillips at the factory, did we work together?
Barry

No Baz, Its Phil from over the road from your factory, Phil & Dave, we had the skip lorries at that time. How are you keeping, I heard that you had moved to Spain. Is Eric still with us, I used to see him about occasionally but I haven't seen him for years.

Phil

Hi Phil, good to hear from you. Are you still grafting or have you knocked it on the head. Eric is doing fine, he’s gone from strength to strength since he retired, he lives up Northfield now. Still drinks in the clubs up that way. This is a great site for going down memory lane. The ‘Balsall heath’ thread as been great.

Baz

Its good to hear from you as well and I'm glad to hear about Eric. I though he may have spinning something for St Peter.

This is a very good site with plenty of memories to spread around. You must have a few tales to tell yourself about Mary St, Vincent Parade and Balsall Heath Rd. Those are the three main premises that I remember your factories from.

Hope you get some joy about the school you are enquiring about. I know that in the 50's part of Chandos Rd School was turned over to teaching deaf & dumb children, but I can't say about partially sighted.

Phil

Hi Baz, yes it's the same school, we all called it Mosley Rd. However the official name was 'The George Auden School for partially sighted'.
Both my brother and sister attended as well as myself, our name was 'Beeley'. I was there from 1952 till 1957, my brother and sister are both older than I am.

I have recently been in touch with a chap by the name of Brian Rock who was there in the 1950's and a girl named Elizabeth (Betty)Whitlock. I have a class photo taken by Miss Gough when I was in the infants class.

Brian's friends were: FRED BROADHURST, ROBERT BRIDGE AND ROGER NICHOLL. Do you remember any of them?

The head was Miss Ludford and then Mr Chalacombe became head when she retired.
The teachers I remember were Miss Gough, she left to emigrate to Australia and Mrs Austin took over her class, Miss Gibson, Mr & Mrs Bromley.

By the way did you ever go to Bognor Regis with the school ? Do you remember the 'Magic shows at Christmas with 'The Conjurer' and the toys, books and gifts collected by the Lemington Spa Guides and Brownies for us kids? They were put in the school hall and each class in turn was allowed in and each child was allowed to choose three things and if any were left over after we all gone through we were allowed to choose one more.

Chris/Pom :angel:

Last edited:
Hi Pomgolian, what memories, you must have started as I was leaving. Yes Miss ludford was the headmistress there for all my school time. God love that woman, when I think back she gave her whole life to us poor sighted kids. The names I remember Brian battle, John moony, Donald bailey, Janet corbet, I will have to rack my brains and try to remember others. We never went to Bognor, we mostly went to Wales on outward bound type holidays with the school and of course to the local factories, Cadburys and so forth. I will just have to wait and see if any of my years reply.
Barry

Hi Baz I remember Janet Corbett she was in my brother's class, his name is Kenneth Beeley. Do you remember June Davis? my brother had a crush on her and our whole family went to have tea at her parents house in West Brom' I think it was... it was near the Quarries and June took us to where there were young blokes dirt biking up and down the quarry mounds, it was very noisy.

What school house were you in? I was in St George the Red House, my sister was in Nightingale the Yellow house and my brother was in Edison the green house. I have to admit I had no idea at such an early who those people were, however I later found out that our family have a connection to Florence Nightingale. The Nightingale's family name was in fact Shore, however Florence's father agreed to change it to Nightingale so his family could inherit his cousins estate (This was stipulated in the cousin's will), her father the only surviving blood relative of the cousins family line.

By the way just call me 'Pom' everyone else on here does :)

Hi Pom, no I don’t remember your brother, to be honest us seniors would not have talked to the snotty juniors. When I was there we used to move from one class to the other, so I don’t remember the different houses, when you start on these treks down memory lane you realize how much you can’t recall. I suppose it called getting old, no, come to think of it it’s not getting old, it’s the wine over here (Spain). Mr Turner was our main teacher, he was good. We lived in Mary st Balsall Heath opposite Halam st (not sur about the spelling) and Farringtons the chippie at the bottom of the hill, running back up the hill before they got cold. Oh happy days?
Baz

Hi Baz , I know what you mean 'seniors would not have talked to the snotty juniors' LOL.
The 'Houses' never really meant much (not while I was there anyway), they were just mainly used as arranged seating each morning at assembly time and at special occasions . Four great long double lines of chair going from one side of the hall to the other.
All the infants sat in the front of each row, then Juniors, then intermediates and Seniors at the back. Miss Ludford at the front with the Pianist/music teacher (Mrs Austin when I was there) at the side corner and the other teachers sitting along each sides of the outer lines.

Not sure why I remember so much about past year when I often forget what I'm supposed to be doing today LOL.

Hello Baz and Pom. I realise some time has passed since this thread so not sure if i get a reply. My uncle now deceased. god rest his sole went to George Auden on Moseley Roa. His name was William (Bill) Eadon, born in 1938 so I guess he went to GA from 45 and into early 50s. he lived in Bedford Road by the Clement Arms. I don't know anything else about his time at school but I do remember Challecombe myself as I went to GA when it was located in Northfield. Challecombe was the head and retired around 75. A few older teachers you may remember that may have been at GA in Moseley Road are Mrs Freeman and Mr Harvey.

cheers

Hi Baz I remember Janet Corbett she was in my brother's class, his name is Kenneth Beeley. Do you remember June Davis? my brother had a crush on her and our whole family went to have tea at her parents house in West Brom' I think it was... it was near the Quarries and June took us to where there were young blokes dirt biking up and down the quarry mounds, it was very noisy.

What school house were you in? I was in St George the Red House, my sister was in Nightingale the Yellow house and my brother was in Edison the green house. I have to admit I had no idea at such an early who those people were, however I later found out that our family have a connection to Florence Nightingale. The Nightingale's family name was in fact Shore, however Florence's father agreed to change it to Nightingale so his family could inherit his cousins estate (This was stipulated in the cousin's will), her father the only surviving blood relative of the cousins family line.

By the way just call me 'Pom' everyone else on here does :)

My nan was June

Back