• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Morrall Brothers Tool Makers

celia

master brummie
hello one and all
I'm looking for some help before my brain explodes

I came across a pic on another site that showed a building in Albion street Hockley
The build's signage bore the words Morrall Brothers Toolmakers
As my last name happens to be Morrall I am interested in finding out if these "Morrall Brothers" are any relation to me

I have no idea when the pic was taken or any dates that can help with when the company was started
Ive tried looking on the net but have just ended up giving myself brain ache
I haven't used kellys before so wouldn't have a clue how to go about it and I don't have any dates either that may help my search

If there are any kind soles here that can help in anyway or know anything about the Morrall Brother's toolmakers on Albion street hockley I will be for ever in your debt

Many thanx in advance
celia

1237075_10151924349051133_750200352_n.jpg

ps sorry it isn't a very good pic

I have google maped it and the building that is in the photo is still standing if that is any help

They seem to have started after WW2. Neither the company not no 49 is listed in Kellys in 1946 or for several years prior to this. In 1949 it is listed as a toolmakers at no 49 Albion St. In 1950-56 it listed as jewellers material makers at 49 Albion st and also toolmakers at 52 Frederick St. It is complicated in that in 1956 there also appears Morrall Bros (Birmingham ) Ltd, at 28/34 & 88 Vyse St, bird cage makers and wire workers. I thought bird cage makers as an occupation disappeared 50 years before, but apparently not. They continued until 1963.In 1964-65 there is a Morrall Bros (Tools) Ltd at Regent House , Frederick St, but they are no longer listed in 1967. (n 1969 L. Morrall & co, manufacturing jewellers appears and they are still there in 1973 , when the last Kellys is published

There is still L Morrall and Co toolmakers in Key Hill, Hockley.

L Morrall Ltd
15 Key Hill, Hockley, Birmingham,
West Midlands, B18 6HN. (Map)
Tel: 0121 523 0084 Category: Toolmakers

Back