• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moreton Street

F

Frantic

I just received Mrs Frantic's father's birth certificate from the UK. It states that he was born at 18 Moreton St, I don't know what the suburb was, but the sub-district is 'St Mary's' (1921) can anyone help with the location please.

Hi Frantic
Moreton Street is Hockley - B1
The stret's still there as far as i know O0

Frantic, have you ever heard of the War Stone ? which is just at the top of Warstone Lane in the corner before you enter the cemetery, if you go down Warstone lane (down the hill )and turn left and first right that is Moreton St, I was there last week, I took a snap of the War Stone.
The Writing says
This Felsite boulder was deposited near here by a glacier during the ice age, being at one time used as a parish boundary it was known as the Hoar Stone of which the modern War-Stone is a corruption

Peter, thank you for the link to the War Stone. My gt.gt. grannie is buried in the cemetary there.

I spent an hour or so reading again about the Jewllery Quarter. I have been there three or four times over the last few years, I love its history and there is a feeling of yesterday as you walk its streets today.

Di. I go their about twice a week on business, and have taken a lot of pictures such as :-
Stonehenge over a grave or the Tree trunk on top of a grave, I have been underneath into the catacombs and taken pics, I know it quite well as I did a lot of research their So if you want a snap of anything just give me the word as it is no problem

Thanks Crommie. I have taken some photo's, but if you wuoldn't mind taking a shot of the Cemetary from the entrance that would be great. :)

HI CROMIE , I have just notice you are researching moreton st , for one of our ladies, and i noticed you have a pic of the stone at the top of the war stone , and all the years i was around there i never ever knew what it represented, whilst on the subject of moreton st , surely the suburb must have been hockley from all the years gone bye, after all the b,ham mint was at the back of moreton st , and surely they was there from god knows when and there address would have been hockley , but saying that was,nt the boundries of aston , hockley and brook field and lady wood surrounding that area ? by the way crom, could you tell me his key hill cem , is classed as icknield st cem, co,s when you enter into key hill entrance you find your self in icknield st, ? have a nice day our kid , astonian ,;;;;;;;

morning crom;thanks for your reply ,after your your response , i also thought how strange it was to have two cemetry,s so close to each other its only a railway line that serperateates the two , was there any particular reason for that crom ? why his one called key hill and the other war stone lane for years i always thouht it was the same ,appartently not so i have leart from you . at the city libary in the record index there was a thomas jelf burried in key hill early 1800,s i went to handsworth wood cemetry office , and they gave me the number erd plot and a map , so i went to key hill cem with a camera i search in vain but i couldn,t find the plot , i spent alot of time up there , and finding myself on ickneild st and seeing the other half , i came acrooss what i can only presume hole in the wall tombs , some was broken into, could you tell me what tpye of people whom would have been in there and what type of people would have damage them , or would it have been council workers opening them up beause of the hundred years gone bye , i am very much intruige by these,s cem,s at hockley, , by the way crom , do not bowl over yet
, its a grand life if you don,t weaken , plus the fact you are a volume to the forem and a genius of knowledge.
have a nice day our kid , look foreward to your topics,, astonian, ;;;;;;;

Frantic Not one house in what is left of Morton St Factory and over the other side of the road a carpark and factory

Astonian, You ask what type of people are buried in the vaults, well I knew you was gonna ask that cause I took these pics about 4 hours ago, Thomas Guest from Aston for one who was one of the great architects of Brum
The Photo of the Vaults if you look middle left and see the dark Memorial that is Thomas Guest
The Entrance now to the Catacombs is sealed to keep out vandals etc.
Photos lost

Last edited by a moderator:
hi crom , many thanks for your fast response service, and the magnifience of your photo,s and for the information you have given me , and to the forem , i am going to down load them now , by the way iv,e just been reading an artical on the rosalie st saga , i think if i am right you will only find the remaining streets left are as follows camden st , pickford st crab tree road , which is a continue on from pick ford st onto crab tree road and on to westerern rd which leads you to the city hospital, which was commonly known as dudley rd hospital . and of cours all saints rd , hingegeston st may be there , but colledge rd and rosalie st , have gone i,m not to sure about new spring st , and ho george st west is still there , one of them as been replaced byy knnight stone avenue , thanks crom , have a nice day , astonian ,;;;

Astonian Here are a couple of intresting "Things" placed on graves in the Mint Cemetery
The first one is a Druids grave. its the grave of George William Maney died 1933 age 90 he was a member of the Ancient Order of the Druids and was a Gentleman and Druid
Second one is a great carving of a tree on top of a grave with engraved ivy and inscriptions all the way round it, one says In Memory of L.W.Sutcliffe Royal Warwickshire Regiment who died of wounds in Rouen France 1916

hi crom ,many thanks for your pics of the mint cem , when you say the mint cem , what do you mean his that the one directly next to the mint on ickneild st, and if so where about would this be ,in the cem , this his a subject i am very intrested in , his it possible for you to enlighten me and get me or give me more information on this person , and on the fundermental running of the acient order of the druids , and i know they stem back many ,many years , and i know it was only special persons allowed into the society , has you know of the jelf,s family whom one time the coffee house , and resuarants in and around b,ham ,, there fathers orinated from oxford to worcester, and they came from honeybourne eversham from way back 18oo,s they were big land owners and still own land across eversham and pershore and the records still stand today in history records in worcestershire, any way during the war years t6hey was supplying b,ham with a lot of produce,, but getting back to my intrest and i hope you can fill me in on the order, that some of the elders of the jelfs were members of this order and i have this information from a member of the jelf sibling whom his a high ranking councillor in oxford that the fore fathers was all grand masters in the society, they and because my mother was thhe only child to ernest jelf he got my dad involved with it , raymond jelf the councillor in oxford told me he w3ant6ed to follow in the fore fathers steps , but when he became of age it closed down also not many people relised whom they was there own faTHERs ,father was the hanging judge of worcester , he sentence william yarnold to hang in worcester jail 4 ,november 1905 for murder of his wife , he was in the army , and whilst away she found another man, she did,nt want him , so he murdered her, the jelf,s of aston are the sibling bs of these people ,the fore fathers of these siblings werte also judges in b,hamang george , and henry were special jurriors, in b,ham azzies ,s courts in hanging cases,s they were all members of this society , cromie , i will cut short now and hope you can let me know any think else , you have made my day , if i should meet you any time i will buy7 you a good drink , for years i wondered where i could get information , crom , you are a star and a scollar,, astonian, ;;;;

Lovely Pics, Crom. Must go to Key Hill Cem on the Open Day on 9 September. Anyone else interested?
The reason that there were two different cemeteries is that they were opened by different firms. The Key Hill Cemetery was opened in 1836 by the Birmingham General Cemetery Company Ltd. and acquired by the Birmingham City Council under a compulsory purchase order in 1952. [It isn't shown on the map by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge in 1834, although the Railway which was not opened until 1838 is shown. The Warstone Lane Cem was opened in 1848 by the Birmingham Church of England Cemetery Company and acquired by the Birmingham City Council under a compulsory purchase order in 1951. The railway line was also built in about 1848, but the local station was Hockley, on the far side of Icknield Street. No trace now.
Peter

Seeing as it was MY question that started off this wandering track, and we are all still in Hockley, can I ask another couple of questions?
1. Is the College of Jewellers & Silversmiths still in existance, I used to go there when I was an apprentice as they were the only college that had a proper 'Toolmaking' course at the time.
2. Is Little King St still there?

Thanks

Frantic, Little King Street vanished in the 60s as the area was redeveloped Now called Barr St and Smith St but they called the street at the top Great King St
The College you are talking about is that the one in Spencer St ? as thats still their

I thought that it was in Vyse St, but my memory is getting cloudy now. I do remember having to go there twice a week to night school, which I hated, as I wanted to be out with my mates causing havoc. I do remember that it was an old building that had some historical and architectural merit.

Back