• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Milo

rowan

Born a Brummie
Does anyone recall having a cup of "Milo"?

I believe it was in a green labeled tin and not quite as strong as Drinking Chocolate or Bournvita.

:angel: Rowan we still get it here in NZ, the grandkids drink it by the bucket loads (more milk than Milo though :) ). The firm that make it also sponsor some our sports teams.

Milo is for sale all over the place in Vancouver as well. Can't say that I have had any in years though. I have Ovaltine and Horlicks in my cupboard though. Same tin as Postie
sent for Milo. I saw this on sale in Hong Kong last year in large quantities and it is on sale also in East Indian or Asian stores in many places.

This REALLY happened. I sent it to the manufacturers advertising dept but they didn't use it.

Wellington NZ 1976. We were staying with some friends before we left NZ to come to Oz, and they had two kids the same age as ours. Just before going to bed one night, Pete (friend) said to the kids all lined up on the sofa, "Who wants a cup of Milo"? At the time, we didn't drink Milo, we were still on Cadbury's drinking chocolate, so Cherelle and Paul (mine) didn't know what it was. The kids at the time were 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 yrs old.
Tammy: (Petes) "Yes please Daddy".
Pete: "How about you Cherelle?"
Cherelle: "I don't know uncle Pete"
Pete: "Well do you want a drink of Milo or not"?
Cherelle: [confused] "I'll try some of Tammy's Lo first"
Pete: [very quick] "Oh, you want some of Tammy's Lo".
Tammy: [highly confused by now] "What's she talking about"?
Pete: "Cherelle wants to try some of your Lo to see if she likes it, and if she does, she can have some of her own Lo".
Cherelle: "Is Paul and Angie going to have some Lo as well"?
Tammy: "No Cherelle, it's Milo".
Cherelle: "I know it is, but I just want to taste your Lo to see if I like it"
Tammy: [exasperated] "Cherelle.....it's not YOUR Lo, it's MILO".
Cherelle: "Well if Paul's having some, I'll try some of his Lo instead then"
Tammy: IT'S NOT HIS LO.....IT"S MILO!!!"
Cherelle: "You just want all of the Lo to yourself and you don't want anyone else to have any"

You get the picture. This went on for about ten minutes and Pete and I were in absolute hysterics, which confused the kids even further because they didn't know what we were laughing about. I think it would have made a great advert. The innocence of the kids and the confused expressions on their faces just made it even funnier. The tears were rolling down our faces and the dialogue between the kids was still going on. It would have to rate as one of my funniest memories, and Pete and I, still laugh about it today.

I had a cup of Milo for the first time about a month ago.
A colleague always brings a tin into work as its her favourite beverage.
I found it a little bland...even when I spooned another heap of the powder in........each to their own

our old man used to say get in the kitchen and scrub behind your ears they are milo any body heard this before

Back