• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mills, Arthur

theodore

master brummie
Born 1888 Birmingham. Parents Frederick and Emily Mills. Looking for evidence that he lived at No 4 Jones buildings, Upper Thomas Street, Aston 1903/4. Have 1891, 1901 and 1911 census info but none have the above address.
Regards
Peter

Born 1888 Birmingham. Parents Frederick and Emily Mills. Looking for evidence that he lived at No 4 Jones buildings, Upper Thomas Street, Aston 1903/4. Have 1891, 1901 and 1911 census info but none have the above address.
Regards
Peter

as i am sure you know peter it could be difficult to prove as the years you are looking at are between the census years..that said i will have a look on ancestry to see if anything may turn up

lyn

The problem is that then he would have only been 15, so is only likely to be mentioned anywhere if involved in some way in an accident or a crime,
There is a youth named Arthur Mills mentioned in the papers in 1909 as a witness in court of an event around Sycamore Road, but no address given

As mentioned there's not much available to prove someone was at an address between the censuses.

However, it appears that 3 of Arthur's sisters - Jane (Grantham), Emily (Green) and Amy (Barton) - all lived on Upper Thomas St in 1901. Jane and Amy still there in 1911.

Beat you to it Lyn. Can't find them marked on 1889 town plans and can't find them listed in any directory either.

Map shows ct 10 opposite the school
1720266019396.png

Last edited:
I also did a "walk" down Upper Thomas Street on 1911 census but couldn't find a mention of Jones buildings. Also checked the 1906 rates book and again drew a blank.
Wonder if it was just how the locals referred to somewhere?
Most likely as MWS suggests he was with a sister who lived there.

jan what does a new member to young folks corner mean

lyn

The clip is taken from a list of names who have enrolled in some sort of children's club - I just meant it was the name of a child not an adult. It was the address really that interested me.

Just registered with me - Grantham is the surname of Arthur's sister see MWS post #5
They appear on the 1901 census at 10ct house 2 - is this the 2 Jones Buildings of the address of young John Grantham on 1901 as Jane's son

Last edited:
So possibly the house number was recorded incorrectly or the parents/other family lived at no. 4 for a short time?

Think I have solved it.
From the map ct 10 is behind houses 56 to 62.
In 1906 rates book houses 62 to 56 and ct 10 were owned by William Jones. Frederick Mills is listed at number 4 ct 10
1720272089656.png

May be a long shot but on Kelly's 1903 there is a Jones dairyman at 122 Upper Thomas Street

Attachments

• jones-james-1903.jpg
    jones-james-1903.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 1
My next thing to suggest would have been to look at the addresses 2 of Arthur's other sisters gave when they married in 1905 and 1908. Though Annie in 1905 appears to have married at Holy Trinity, Bordesley so may have gave an address of convenience and Rhoda may have been too late.

No need now. :)

great work jan...add is something place but could that have been in upper thomas st
Thanks.
No idea - Oughton Place rings a bell but it doesn't really matter as we have answered the OP's query in at least 1906.
Am sure it is near Kyrwicks Lane which is her husband's address.

To add to the other investigations,
william Tracey is listed as at 1 Jones Buildings, Upper thomas St in the absent voters list of 1918, 1919. In 1922 he is listed as at 1 court 10 Upper Thomas St. this would seem likely to confirm that Jones buildings and 10 court are the same

Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback to my posting .
His attestation papers (Militia) gave his abode No 4 Jones buildings, Upper Thomas Street, Aston and also next of kin, father Frederick at same address. He gave his age 18 years 4 months and his trade /calling press hand. He enlisted in Birmingham 8th June 1904 (actually born 5th June 1888 so only 16 y 4m). Married August 1908 (age 21) and the address given 56 Upper Thomas Street. So I believe Janice you have solved the problem regards Jones Buildings, and that No 4 house, Court 10 Upper Thomas Street, Aston and No 4 Jones Buildings Upper Thomas Street are the same. All your help much appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Back