• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

military abbreviations

rickyd

proper brummie kid
Hi not been on here for a long time so nice to be back
Can anybody explain the following for me ?
624440 Tel., R Co., R.E.
I found it on the absent voters electoral roll on midlands historical data site for my grandfather George Dale
However it is not the same as a previous number and rank i have for him so am a bit confused
any help gratefully recieved
thanks
Rick

Hi Rick, welcome back:)

Could it be Telegraph Company, Royal Engineers?

I see George Dale is listed at 72 Frederick Rd, 1918, 1919 and 1920, the latter being with the above reg details you have quoted, the first 2 as 92453 Dvr. RE.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne thanks for the welcome

if it was the telegraph company would he have been given a new reg number i dont know?
it is all a bit confusing because he originally told the family he was in the Navy, and have not long known this other information lol
I will keep trawling the net in hope x

Hi Rick

Not too sure about the change of reg number, but I believe I have seen this before on others records. Anyway, perhaps one of the military experts on here will be able to give you a more definitive answer. Good luck with your research:)

Suzanne

Have to agree with Suzanne. I know of one man who served with 7 different regiments and had 7 different regimental numbers, so it was quite common.

Could you give a name so that we could have a look for his medal card, that may give a clue.

Barrie.

Hi Barrie
His Name was George Dale ,i have a medal card for the original Number 92453 but not for the new found number
thanks for your reply
Rick

My grandad had 2 numbers too, from two different regiments, so wouldn't be uncommon.
I'm sure someone on the site will be able to offer much more help, they are a great crew on here - I have found out a lot about my great Uncle with their help, that was a military query too.
Welcome to the forum anyway!
Sue

Hi Rick. My head is swimming with numbers now. lol I've looked through all of the George Dale's, and no luck. Sorry.

Barrie.

Hi not been on here for a long time so nice to be back
Can anybody explain the following for me ?
624440 Tel., R Co., R.E.
I found it on the absent voters electoral roll on midlands historical data site for my grandfather George Dale
However it is not the same as a previous number and rank i have for him so am a bit confused
any help gratefully recieved
thanks
Rick

I am a trifle confused now Rick, on the 1918/1919 Absent Voters List George Dale is shown as 92453 Dvr RE. Where did the other info come from?

Barrie.

it was on the 1920 electoral roll on Midland historical data site the same address 72 frederuck road
Rick

Could he be in the Reserve Coy in 1920 of the Royal Engineers?
Tel seems to indicate Telegraphist a step up from just a Driver

Hi Brian
I did not think of the reserves or the date come to that ,nteresting that he may have gone from a driver to a telegraphist though
Rick

I think the date 1920 makes the difference see this below taken from the WW1 Site.

Up to 1920 there was no such thing as an "army number". men had numbers issued by their regiment or Corps. With each regiment having its own scheme, numbers were inevitably duplicated and in some cases dozens of men had the same number. In 1920, all that changed.

Changes are made

Army Order 338 of August 1920 stated that army numbers would now be issued from one continuous series, to all men then serving in regular or Territorial units (with the exception of the Labour Corps), to all men then on Army Reserve, to all recruits into the regular army, TF, Special Reserve and Militia; to all men who re-enlisted if they had not had one of the new numbers before, to all men transferred to the army from the Royal Marines, and to all deserters who subsequently rejoined, if they had not had one of tthe new numbers before.

Once issued, the man would retain the same number irrespective of his transfers and postings within the army. If a man (who had been given one of the new numbers) left and re-enlisted, he would retain his old number.

Very interesting that Nick - 1920 being a change over year.
I was at the Royal Signals Museum at Blandford recently - it may be worth an email to them - they have a website.
The Royal Engineers are at Chatham, if I recall correctly, very many years since I popped into their Museum.

They may be able to explain the dvr/tel portion?

I think the date 1920 makes the difference see this below taken from the WW1 Site.

Up to 1920 there was no such thing as an "army number". men had numbers issued by their regiment or Corps. With each regiment having its own scheme, numbers were inevitably duplicated and in some cases dozens of men had the same number. In 1920, all that changed.

Changes are made

Army Order 338 of August 1920 stated that army numbers would now be issued from one continuous series, to all men then serving in regular or Territorial units (with the exception of the Labour Corps), to all men then on Army Reserve, to all recruits into the regular army, TF, Special Reserve and Militia; to all men who re-enlisted if they had not had one of the new numbers before, to all men transferred to the army from the Royal Marines, and to all deserters who subsequently rejoined, if they had not had one of tthe new numbers before.

Once issued, the man would retain the same number irrespective of his transfers and postings within the army. If a man (who had been given one of the new numbers) left and re-enlisted, he would retain his old number.
WW1 was dated from 1914 to 1920 to give time to for those in the UK forces to claim pensions, medals etc, it was the rule to give a new number if transferred to another unit which happened many times due to the heavy casualites suffered in the war. Len.

Thank you to Sue and Len
I am just down he road from Chatham so will ahve to take a trip to the museum x

RickyD, if you do pay a visit, can I ask a favour - would you ask how I can trace where a Military Medal was won please?
My Great Uncle received this medal but we have no idea where he was when we earned it and for some reason it is not listed on his medal card.
Thanks, Sue

Back