• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mildred Berry Secretarial School

lavender

knowlegable brummie
I attended Mildred Berry Secretarial School in 1972 for six months or so to learn Shorthand (how defunct that is now lol) it was in Cannon Street next door to Doug Ellis' travel agents and the Satis House Restaurant and opposte the bar (name of which escapes me just now, the one that had a french painted interior and I think it became 'the pub' after that)

I attended Mildred Berry Secretarial School in 1972 for six months or so to learn Shorthand (how defunct that is now lol) it was in Cannon Street next door to Doug Ellis' travel agents and the Satis House Restaurant and opposte the bar (name of which escapes me just now, the one that had a french painted interior and I think it became 'the pub' after that)
I remember the Mildred Berry Secretarial Scool in Cannon Street, the building is still there and was opposite the 'Parisien', where they used to queue up to go in when it first opened, we used to go to Bogarts at the top of New Street which was much better and didn;t require queuing up for!
The reason I remember the school is that my Dad used to deliver milk to them and if I was helping him, I would be sent to collect the money at the end of the week, quite a learning curve, trying not to go beetroot in front of a room full of pretty girls!! I've just about managet it!

I was there in 1971(?) and loved every minute - at the end of my course I was placed in Cheshire Gibson Estate Agents on Temple Row. The course and my first job set me up for a career travelling all over the world. Good times.

Lavender, you're probably correct that pen shorthand is defunct, but in the '80s I learned machine stenography and ultimately taught it here in Canada. It was an updated version of venerable handwritten shorthand. In 2001 I visited the BBC in London where one of my students was posted for a very long time. Those gifted professionals create closed captions for the hearing impaired in real time, that is, simultaneously as spoken during broadcast. Of course I digress from Mildred Berry, and regardless, I would also love to have caroused the nearby pubs. It pains me to think that picture of quaintness on the streets of Birmingham is probably gone forever.

I attended Mildred Berry Secretarial School in 1972 for six months or so to learn Shorthand (how defunct that is now lol). It was in Cannon Street next door to Doug Ellis' travel agents and the Satis House Restaurant, opposite the bar (the name of which escapes me just now, the one that had a French painted interior and I think it became 'the pub' after that). And, unfortunately, it was not possible then to buy a dissertation literature review https://www.reviews.io/company-reviews/store/paper24.com like now. However, with the advent of online services like Paper24.com, accessing such resources has become much more convenient.
You did find Birningham in a day of some mist and charm and mystery. Now these places look completely different

Last edited:
A long established school, and the building is still there in Cannon Street.

Screenshot_20240109_174449_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240109_174743_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109_175132_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_175132_Maps.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240109_175048_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_175048_Maps.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 4
That's a coincidence Viv, when I was in town just before Christmas I noticed those chambers and thought what a lovely building it was!

Lynn

It sounds like you have some vivid memories of your time at Mildred Berry Secretarial School! Learning shorthand must have been quite an experience, especially considering how much technology has changed office work since then. The location you described in Cannon Street with all those landmarks around sounds like it was quite a bustling area. It's fascinating how places evolve over time, like the bar you mentioned with a French painted interior that later became 'The Pub.' Do you have any specific stories or memorable experiences from your time learning shorthand or being in that area?

Back