• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Assurance, Hagley Road

KathyP

master brummie
My first job was as a clerk at Midland Assurance, about 1965. Our boss was Eric Cox and I remember Bob Austin, Chris Kerton, Bob Wakeman, Ralph Badger, Roy Miller who were the Inspectors. Also Pete Atkinson, John Page, Barbara Ball, Wendy Bland and Joan Foxall. Wonder where they all are now. The building looks just the same as it did then even though it was 45 years ago!

The building was originalloy owned by Midland Employere Mutual Assurance which demutualised becoming Midland Assurance which was then taken over by Eagle Star but contied trading under the Midland Assurance name for many years before being absorbed into the Eagle Star Group. For a time Eagle Star and its associated company Allied Dunbar were owned by British American Tobacco. Company is now Zurich Assurance.

I worked there as a junior clerk in the Fire dept. when I first left school. I wasn't much good at it so I left after one year. I remember Mr McCormack, Mr Thrush, Lorraine (Loz) wonder where they are now!

Back