• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories of Barton St

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Attached are memories of Barton Street before WW2, as recorded in 1979

barton_st_memories.jpg

I loved reading that, I remember Barton Street so well from my childhood, but the writer's memory is a bit "haywire" Johnny Prescott was a boxer in the 1960s and didn't live in Barton Street, his gran lived in Burlington Street and he used to stay with her, but I don't think he lived there permanently.

Sylvia
I'm glad you liked it. As to the writers memory, I suspect that that bit about johnny Prescott was added by the journalist who actually wrote the piece. He may hav heard about soem connection with the street and thought it would be a good titbit to add. Back around that time I knew some people who worked for the Post & Mail. They were far more suspicious as to the accuracy of what was written in the papers than the general public, and always said that the only paper you could be sure was accurate was the News of the World, as they had to be accurate in case of libel actions,

Back